Leaky hot tub repair approach.

Slarti

Gold Supporter
Jun 25, 2023
Atlanta Area
My pool has a separate hot tub that is levelled above to create a waterfall. It's maybe 7 ft in diameter. It has had cracks in the past. Both times, the builder repaired it. The first time was a total concrete re-work because the original concrete crumbled. The second time, it was patched.

Now, there's a new leak. It's in the pipe from one of the turbo-clean floor cleaners. However, the area around the seat has a hollow sound when tapped (as if there's no ground underneath it) and there are multiple "rebound cracks." This is a term my leak guy used, not sure if it's a legit term. The builder refuses to work on it (the pool is 14 years old, but I do have 15 year warranty on the shotcrete). Not to mention, it has already been repaired twice by them. He was "nice" enough to give us the number of a guy that does this.

With that long winded intro, I am wondering if anyone has had to deal with something like this. My concern is more the ground underneath the hot tub and what this is going to cost. He's supposed to come see it next week, but I would like to be prepared with what to expect.

Any and all info appreciated.

Rebound is not to be used in Shotcrete/Gunite applications, but to be discarded.
Pipes that leak water from around the outside of the pipe is common when the plaster crew did not patch them properly prior to plaster application.
What you can do to better prepare yourself for your meeting is to drain the spa and drag a crow bar over the finish and listen for hallow sounds. This is a very common sign that rebound was used in the construction of the spa and that the material is not to standards.

Reactions: oldprophet
Rebound is not to be used in Shotcrete/Gunite applications, but to be discarded.
Pipes that leak water from around the outside of the pipe is common when the plaster crew did not patch them properly prior to plaster application.
What you can do to better prepare yourself for your meeting is to drain the spa and drag a crow bar over the finish and listen for hallow sounds. This is a very common sign that rebound was used in the construction of the spa and that the material is not to standards.

My leak guy made that hollow sound with a screwdriver handle. I think will drain and take a video.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.