Pool reno quote...questions.

freqz

Sep 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hi guys, it's been awhile! My pool has just been nearly maintenance free after going to a SWCG a couple of years ago. Check chems a couple of times a week, clean the filter a couple of times per year, done.

However, it's a 32'x14' 1979 model and it's beyond time for a replaster. It needed plaster when we bought the house in 2013. We have a quote for that as part of a larger backyard renovation and it's...well...it's staggering.

The contractor's pool guy wants $56k for:

*replaster in luna quartz
*new tile and coping
*replace one light (because we need to move some electrical)
*add a swim out bench to the deep end, and remove the old mid pool ladder.
*rework the hot tub--it's currently stacked stone. pull the stone, rebuild the wall, and cover it with plaster in the process.
*He also wants to add a bunch of automation equipment and an in-line chlorinator which has already been kiboshed. (I don't need that kind of aggravation in my life and I'm very happy with my existing SWCG)

Code also dictates that since we'll need an equalization hole, we get to upgrade the drain to a VGB compliant dual drain setup. (This hole in the ground hasn't killed anyone in the last 40 years but I digress)

This seems like...a lot. What say you, TFP?

Thanks.

First - eliminate the main drain. That should save you some money. Main drains are unnecessary.

Otherwise, alot depends on your area. Get a couple more quotes.

You are doing much more then a replaster job. Replaster alone should cost in the $8K - $15K range.

Get itemized costs for each item in your bids. That way you can compare bids, see where the money is going, set priorities, and make decisions.

Your PB is basically building you a new pool and it is priced that way. Get more bids.

Freq,

I'd check on the "code requirement" to retrofit your residential pool with dual main drains.. I believe that all you need is the new VGB cover for your current drain..

I say this because when I re-plastered a rent house pool, the contractor said I'd need to rebuild the main drains. I asked for a reference to the code and he suddenly changed his mind.

It would be worth checking out anyway..

Jim R.

Thanks y'all.

Location is Dallas, TX. A main drain is required my code for some dumb reason, but it doesn't appear that two drains are. I suspect he's goosing the bill a bit there. I also reread everything, and this quote also includes pulling up the concrete around the pool. It's still overpriced, IMO but that softens the blow a little bit.

I'm figuring
$10k- $15k for the replaster.
$5k for coping, tile, the hot tub rehab, and the addition of the swim out ledge. There are no changes to the pool shell in any of this.
$10k to pull the concrete and relocate some electrical. I think I'm being generous here. We will be replacing the decking with turf and that's in a different part of the larger quote.

So I'm at $25-$30k for my ballpark vs the $56k this guy bid. The PB is a sub, so I expect some markup but we're still a ways off.

New quotes inbound.

I doubt a main drain is required. That is a typical mis-reading of the code. Two drains that are VGBA (Virginia Graeme Baker Act) approved or a VGBA approved drain cover is required IF there is a drain.

Last edited:
i think hes overpriced but you are off on your numbers too. 10-15k for replaster is good. 5k for the ledge alone. there is steel work and alot of concrete needed plus the engineering. the shell may not be able to hold the additional weight of the concrete being solid may have to work around this. 10k for pulling the concrete and electrical is about right. hes not doing anything after concrete is gone? the hot tub rehab is a few grand and depending on what coping you want a few grand there. Should be around 35k based on pricing in your area. As said get more quotes and I wouldnt bother w having him do the demo of the concrete. you should be able to get a mason crew to do the demo and the coping for much less than a PB

I doubt a main drain is required. That is a typical mis-reading of the code. Two drains that are VGBA (Virginia Graeme Baker Act) approved or a VGBA approved drain cover is required IF there is a drain.

Perhaps I'm misreading, but this isn't a vinyl pool less than 5' in depth, so I'm pretty sure I need a drain

§ 43A-13. Inlets And Outlets; Water Disposal., Article II. Pool Design And Construction., Chapter 43A. Swimming Pools, Volume Ii, Code of Ordinances, Dallas

i think hes overpriced but you are off on your numbers too. 10-15k for replaster is good. 5k for the ledge alone. there is steel work and alot of concrete needed plus the engineering. the shell may not be able to hold the additional weight of the concrete being solid may have to work around this. 10k for pulling the concrete and electrical is about right. hes not doing anything after concrete is gone? the hot tub rehab is a few grand and depending on what coping you want a few grand there. Should be around 35k based on pricing in your area. As said get more quotes and I wouldnt bother w having him do the demo of the concrete. you should be able to get a mason crew to do the demo and the coping for much less than a PB

Yep! The pool rehab is part of a larger backyard rehab. The swim out ledge may just have to go. I've looked at one this long. Now I have to convince Mrs. Freqz. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On code. The link to the city of Dallas appears to be vague. There are different categories of pools - public, simipublic, private. In Texas there are new construction, built piror to 10/01/99, spas etc. It is possiable that the city of Dallas modified the Texas department of health Standards for Swimming Pools and Spas, however, unlikely.

Of interest here, it appears the pool in question is a private pool and pool built piror 10/01/99. Unless very recently changed, in the state of Texas it is not required to separate main drains when remodeling a residential pool or spa. This could change in the future. Having said that, for safety having dual drains per new construction codes is ideal.

Next.. the Texas department of health (TDH) Standards for Swimming Pools and Spas provides options to bring a pool built piror 10/01/99 for commercial and simipublic pools that private pool owners can follow if they wish to bring their pool up to simipublic standards. In addition to modifying the drain outlets, the following vacuum release systems are acceptable by the TDH (showing by picture for simplicity)

770D8A3D-06D8-4734-889E-794AF474D429.jpeg

Some pool remodelers in the DFW area will ask for a liability wavier if drains are not updated.

You can review the TDH standards for semipublic and commercial pools here:
http://access.tarrantcounty.com/content/dam/main/public-health/PH-EH/docs/Pool_Rules.pdf

Typed on iPhone so please excuse typos

Cd

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.