Pool Refurb

Tough to determine how much dirt got in but I don't think it's an issue. Probably could vacuum to waste to get it out. You will likely get some mortar and concrete in the pool when the slab is poured and when the copping is installed. Getting that out is more fun as it generally plugs up the head of the vacuum and you have to drag it out of the pool, shut off the pump, reprime and repeat. If you can keep the pool clear it will help. Mine turned to a swamp and I vacuumed blind to get the bulk out before I closed the pool. I was already running into freezing weather.

Reactions: gregch
I guess vacuuming to waste is probably the right answer. I initially thought it would be a great idea to try and scoop out the worst of it with a leaf net... that wasn't such a great idea, as it turns out, because of course it just kicked up the dirt so I can't see a thing (and what I scooped out was heavy enough to break the net).

I'll leave it with the pump off to settle overnight and then try and carefully vacuum to waste. As you say, more stuff is likely going to go in there as we progress! Is there any risk of stuff settling in the pipes and silting them up or is that ridiculous (I guess a closed pipe with water going through it under pressure should keep itself clear)?

IF you can get in the pool (burrrrrrrrrrr not me!) you can use a turkey baster to suck up the dirt. It will be many trips though.

Get as much out as you can. Until then keep the main drain closed if you can to keep the dirt out of those pipes to be on the safe side. If you cannot just do what you can with the pump running so the dirt can't settle in the pipes.

Yep, that might be a tad chilly! also not sure a turkey baster would make much of an impression!! I did think about a wet'r'dry vacuum though, so as to suck the stuff out without it getting in the pipes... but I do think maybe vacuuming to waste is the only viable option. Hopefully with the pipes being smooth and full of water under pressure the silt (it's fine clay, which is the worst) won't settle too much and with a bit of luck the pipes will flush through. Honestly after years of keeping the old pool clean and balanced and ticking over just nicely this is turning into a voyage of discovery! Sure we'll get there in the end!

Reactions: kimkats
Quick update - vacuuming to waste was the right answer, so thanks again folks and especially @Bill1974 for that guidance. Incredibly the vacuum pretty much liquidised even the worst of the mud and flushed it down the waste, a lot of small stones and grit got caught in either the vacuum basket or the pump basket. Larger stones and bits left after vacuuming I was able to get out with a leaf net.

Sure enough, the vacuum head did get jammed up on stones a couple of times and I took the opportunity each time I cleared it to also flush through the vacuum hose with a garden hose and clean everything out thoroughly. Also had to dig out a lot of sand and silt from under the pump basket from time to time. But both skimmer and main drain lines are now running clear, no sign of any blockages, and the pool is clean(ish) again. Just got to top up the water so I can do it all again if need be since there's a few more days of messy work to go.

Our pool refurb continues! We got the concrete down.
IMG_4430.jpeg

Then last week we had the liner guy tank the water out, remove the old liner, patch up the render, fit a new liner lock, lay and point the new copings, fit a new liner and finally tank the water he'd saved back in. Incredibly he and his crew did this all in one day (it was a long day).
IMG_4492.jpegB4CB6A59-1B4F-4C1F-8533-9DBEEBA3C18F.jpg

Reactions: gingrbredman
One (possibly stupid) question...

The guys pumped back in the water they'd saved, and we topped it up with fresh water from the mains water supply, so the water is about 50/50 the original pool water and fresh filled. Is it a good idea to shock the pool as if I were opening up after the winter?

Also, having spent a ton of money on refurbing the pool, I now want to take it a bit more seriously regarding water chemistry, etc but cannot find a 'drop' testing kit like the Taylor 2006 anywhere in the UK and shipping cost from the US is a bit much, and presumably I'd be needing to order reagents etc on a semi-regular basis. Is anyone aware of a decent quality testing option available in Europe? All the pool suppliers here seem to only offer test strips, or photometers and super high-tech stuff that costs a fortune, and nothing at all in between. I know this question's been asked before, but seemed like a while ago and at that time there wasn't really answer (and maybe there still isn't!).

Thanks for all the help on here and apologies for the incoming idiotic questions as I get to grips with everything properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! Really pleased with it so far. Those liner/coping guys were incredible and yes they must have been glad to finally leave, no matter how well we tried to look after them!

Those test kits look good, but they only ship to Australia and NZ unfortunately. It seems Europe and the UK not so keen on the more thorough liquid reagent testing kits; seems impossible to find. For now I've decided to shock the pool and let it settle before doing anything else.

Would something like this do the job?

Palintest do a bewildering array of testing stuff but mostly seems to be visual comparison using tablets (rather than drops like the Taylor kits) or photometers which are really expensive. And their stuff is listed everywhere but never actually in stock or available to buy; not sure what the deal with that is!!

I don't really understand how the tablets work. I am going to call in @JoyfulNoise to get his input on this BUT like you say it is not in stock so.................

Do you have a pool store close to you? What do they use to test pool water with? :shock: OH NO! I said POOL STORE!! but I am hoping without much hope they might have a good test kit...........gotta try!

Hanna, Palintest or LaMotte. Those three may be available where you are. If all you have are visual comparators then that’s the best you can do. The European markets tend to have much stricter rules on what chemicals are generally available to the public. It’s the unfortunate reality of pool ownership there.

Reactions: kimkats
I don't really understand how the tablets work. I am going to call in @JoyfulNoise to get his input on this BUT like you say it is not in stock so.................

Do you have a pool store close to you? What do they use to test pool water with? :shock: OH NO! I said POOL STORE!! but I am hoping without much hope they might have a good test kit...........gotta try!
Ah well they differ... some dissolve in a sample of pool water making a colour that you then visually compare with colours printed on the plastic container, others need to be mixed into a paste first... in either case the results can be a little vague, similar to test strips. The Palintest comparators at least seem to have a better system of reference colour but they still rely on visual comparison.

As for pool store (yep you went there!) we have a couple locally - one uses tester strips (!) and the other uses a Spin Photometer, I think LaMotte brand called "waterlink" or some such. They're really expensive to buy; you can take a sample of water to the store and have them test it but not very convenient!

Hanna, Palintest or LaMotte. Those three may be available where you are. If all you have are visual comparators then that’s the best you can do. The European markets tend to have much stricter rules on what chemicals are generally available to the public. It’s the unfortunate reality of pool ownership there.
I've seen LaMotte drop test kits similar to Taylors listed here, but don't seem to have been available for a long time. The Hanna brand here seems limited to those electronic sticks you dip in the water. I'll search a bit harder for the Palintest stuff, maybe. Thanks for your help and interesting to learn about the rules on chemicals in Europe; that sounds like a likely explanation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.