Pool refill

I've been reading up a lot on plasters lately in prep for that decision on our new pool. From what I've learned the old marcite plaster is was the original finish then they started adding colors. Then there are newer plasters with quartz, pebbles and other materials added. Net result is a prettier and longer lasting finish. The choices seem to be endless. This is one of those areas where I defer to my wife and just hope she can make up her mind in time. If she needs a nudge or help making those final decisions I'll be asking @kimkats et al for help! I like the one you picked.

Chris

I've been reading up a lot on plasters lately in prep for that decision on our new pool. From what I've learned the old marcite plaster is was the original finish then they started adding colors. Then there are newer plasters with quartz, pebbles and other materials added. Net result is a prettier and longer lasting finish. The choices seem to be endless. This is one of those areas where I defer to my wife and just hope she can make up her mind in time. If she needs a nudge or help making those final decisions I'll be asking @kimkats et al for help! I like the one you picked.

Chris
I have to give credit to the wife too, she picked it. I knew I wanted something blue to enhance the water color, but the rest was on her. I cant wait to see how it looks once we fill it.

@Niteowl !!! WELCOME HOME!!!! :hug:

I love, love, love!!! what you have done to the pool. That waterline tile and small tile on the edge are wonderful. I would not have thought to do that!!! You could be a trend setter with that!!!

he pointed to this paragraph on the contract.
Use this PoolMath and look for the CSI. Water temp also plays a big part in the total balance so make sure you have that info.
can make up her mind in time. If she needs a nudge or help making those final decisions I'll be asking @kimkats et al for help! I
Chris! I would LOVE to help you spend your money!! hehe

Reactions: setsailsoon
@Niteowl !!! WELCOME HOME!!!! :hug:

I love, love, love!!! what you have done to the pool. That waterline tile and small tile on the edge are wonderful. I would not have thought to do that!!! You could be a trend setter with that!!!

Use this PoolMath and look for the CSI. Water temp also plays a big part in the total balance so make sure you have that info.

Chris! I would LOVE to help you spend your money!! hehe
Thank you for the warm welcome back. I can't wait until we start filling it tomorrow.

Reactions: kimkats
BTW if you're still looking for CYA... around here at least, it's never marketed by that name. All of my local brands sell it as either Conditioner or Stabilizer. Then if you look at the ingredient section, it should say Cyanuric Acid 100%, but you might not see that term otherwise on the label. That walmart link you posted is the right stuff. (I haven't bought any since the beginning of the summer so I can't comment on the price.)

Because you mentioned trichlor: those are stabilized pucks which contain a mix of chlorine and CYA. But that's a slow and unpredictable way to raise your levels. If you use pure CYA and liquid chlorine, then you can hit precise targets and very quickly. For ongoing chlorination: some people swear by the pucks because of their convenience, but most TFPers recommend against them. Here's a good explanation.

My only caution on the CYA is to read the label carefully. Some brands are very fine and will dissolve easily just by being broadcast (sprinkled) onto the surface of the pool. Others are much coarser and should be pre-dissolved in a bucket. I had to switch brands earlier this year due to availability and didn't realize that I'd gone from fine to coarse. All of a sudden my CYA was sitting in big clumps on the floor of the pool, and brushing didn't help. I ended up removing the filter from the robot and running it across the floor a few times to keep the granules circulating until they dissolved. That worked surprisingly well!

Just a reminder, when adding CYA to your pool with granules TFP recommends you never add them directly to the pool or skimmer. Fill a sock and place it in the skimmer basket. Squeeze it a couple times per day and they will completely dissolve in 2-3 days. I used this method for over 7 years and never had an issue.

Ok, she is filled. Took about 20 hours. Brushed it once so far, will brush a 2nd time tonight. First readings are TA = 210 & Ph is atleast 8.2, it looked to be higher, but that is as high as the chart went. I added 23oz of pre-diluted muriatic acid, per the PoolMath app.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210831_160053.jpg
    thumbnail_20210831_160053.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail_20210831_160056.jpg
    thumbnail_20210831_160056.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail_20210831_160103.jpg
    thumbnail_20210831_160103.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 30
  • thumbnail_20210831_160106.jpg
    thumbnail_20210831_160106.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, she is filled. Took about 20 hours. Brushed it once so far, will brush a 2nd time tonight. First readings are TA = 210 & Ph is atleast 8.2, it looked to be higher, but that is as high as the chart went. I added 23oz of pre-diluted muriatic acid, per the PoolMath app.
You can wait 3 or 4 days or longer for chlorine and CYA.
Just focus on TA, ph, and CH. Yes pull the metals out of the water first.
They really left you hanging

You can wait 3 or 4 days or longer for chlorine and CYA.
Just focus on TA, ph, and CH. Yes pull the metals out of the water first.
They really left you hanging
None of the guides mention CH, they say for the first 48 - 72 hours focus on getting pH and TA under control and brush twice a day to loosen plaster dust. Then after 72 hours to start bring CYA up, then FC. I haven't been testing for CH, should I start?

None of the guides mention CH, they say for the first 48 - 72 hours focus on getting pH and TA under control and brush twice a day to loosen plaster dust. Then after 72 hours to start bring CYA up, then FC. I haven't been testing for CH, should I start?

You can read this link below, its a good starting scource.

Your a little past the CH part. But are still in the window. Keep in mind there a few ways to do a startup. Your doing a hot start at this point because you have plaster dust and have been left out to dry. I would use 2 bottles of acid day one. Pour it in and brush the pool a few times with a wire bruch.

Dont worry about anything else at this point because its all noise, because you already have a late start, no worries tho. Just drop the ph

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.