Pool Refill Procedure

I got my TA to around 100 and Marty was telling me at that point to leave it alone. I did, and he was right, it later found its happy place without any more of my help. I've never tried to move its level since. It now hovers around 50-70.

I think I remember Taylor tech support telling me the K-1766 has a 400ppm margin of error. 200ppm off is fine for pool purposes. It's really the SWG that has the final say, anyway, the actually ppm number doesn't really matter (except maybe to monitor when salt is getting too high). Keeping the SWG happy is all that matters, so ultimately your subject to its margin of error. If the SWG says salt is OK, then it's OK. When your SWG reports salt is out of range, you fix it so that the SWG will produce. The actual value is irrelevant. Chlorine production is go or no-go.

What did I have to do with the 25ml sample? I've never used that myself, always the 10ml. That's plenty close enough for a pool...

I got my TA to around 100 and Marty was telling me at that point to leave it alone. I did, and he was right, it later found its happy place without any more of my help. I've never tried to move its level since. It now hovers around 50-70.

That’s the plan, I’ll leave it be once it reaches 100 and let it find its own way from there.

What did I have to do with the 25ml sample? I've never used that myself, always the 10ml. That's plenty close enough for a pool...

Nothing at all, just a poking fun...:poke:

So which of my favorites apply?

Close enough is close enough!
or
When it's perfect, then you're done!
or
There are only two ways to do things: the right way, or my way. They're both the same!!

21 gallons of MA and counting...

This morning's test results are promising, I believe I will reach the goal of +/- 100 TA today.

FC - 6.0 (OCLT < 0.5)
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 120
CH - 200
CYA - 70 (Calculated by Pool Math)
Salt - 3600
CSI - .29
Temp - 80F

I am leaving the SWCG OFF today until the pool's FC drops to 5, then I will try to maintain that number by modulating the SWCG output as Dirk Suggested.

Once the initial target of 100 TA is reached, what would be a good starting point for pH going forward, should I maintain 7.2 until TA drops further and then let it come up, or is there a better strategy to find the proper balance?

Thanks!

Eureka!

FC 5.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 90
CH 200
CYA 70 (Calculated by Pool Math)
Salt 3600
CSI -0.04
Temp 81F

Now what? :scratch:

Left to my own devices, I would hold the pH at 7.2 until TA dropped to 60, then let the pH rise to 7.4 and see how stable it is at that point, I am also slowly adjusting CH up to 250. Is this a viable plan or a flawed interpretation of pool school?

I adjust my pH to satisfy my CSI (-0.3 to 0.0). I'd let the TA come down on its own without further manipulating. Do double check that CSI, I got the same number as Marty. Be sure you've filled in all the fields in Pool Math (I'm using the online Pool Math, not the app).

A pH of 7.7 or 7.8 will bring your CSI in range.

The only other number I don't like is the temperature, because that's just not fair!!

Marty,

Perhaps I have been staring at these numbers a bit too long over the last couple days, I get the following, where did I err? (One picture shows the actual test results, the other the projected values.)

IMG_7299.jpgIMG_7300.jpg

Somewhere in the app, as there is online, there is a switch for SWG or non-SWG. See if you can find that, see if it makes a difference (it's in the pool setting screen). Your CYA target recommendation doesn't look right.

Or, just to be thorough, make another log and enter the same numbers carefully, see what happens. No errant extra zeros or decimal points, etc.

Or, play around with the CSI calculator and see how it reads with those numbers. When I use the app CSI calculator, I get the same -0.75.

Marty, if that's not it, then maybe Lee needs to take a look at this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can repeat the -0.75 CSI in Poolmath both in the app and the web site.

Take a look at Settings and be sure you have selected all the appropriate items. Also be sure you are tracking Water Temperature.

O' crud!

The app was set to bleach, my bad.

I set it to bleach when I filled the pool (because I used liquid bleach the first few days) and forgot to set it back to SWG!

Is this better? (Actual & Planed)

IMG_7303.jpgIMG_7304.jpg

Set your Intellichem to pH of 7.8. Check it in a couple days and see were you are. Adding some calcium will help too.

Thank you Marty,

Unfortunately the permisible pH range on the IntelliChem is 7.2 to 7.6, I can fudge the numbers +/- 0.3 by tweaking the probes, but I like to retain that margin to more closely align the probe readings to the drop test. I set it to 7.6 for now and I'll see where I'm at in a couple days.

I am slowly raising the CH to 350, that should help bring everything in balance and reduce the ideal pH slightly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.