Pool Pump Won't Start

Jun 16, 2018
Ft Myers
I had a brand new pool pump installed by my pool company last week. I came home the other day and my pump was not on. I hit the breaker a few times and nothing. I called the pool company three days ago and they still have not come out. I took the panel off and turned the pump, it just clicks. It appears the relay is working. Can I disconnect the wires from the relay and connect directly to the wires coming from the breaker via wire nuts and turn the breaker on to see if it works? I would oblivious test to make sure the power is off before I rewire.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Try calling the customer service line for the pump brand and see if they have any suggestions for you. I'm afraid if you do anything to the pump the pool company will blame you and say you voided your warranty. It could be a bad pump or it could be an installation issue. If you remove wires then you can't prove the installation was the problem if it is faulty.

For now you can chlorinate your pool by adding liquid chlorine and brushing the pool to mix it in.

The relay is probably a double pole relay, that means it would have both power wires and both pump wires connected to it. The pump and power wires will be the larger, heavier wires. The control voltage for the relay is usually a smaller gauge or even could be very small low voltage wire. When the relay is energized by the control wires, it closes and simply connects the two power wires to the two pump wires like a big heavy duty switch.

To bypass the relay you would need to disconnect all four wires from the relay, then connect one of the pump wires to one of the power wires using a wire nut. Then connect the other pump wire to the other power wire using another wire nut. I'm assuming this is 240v, if so polarity does not matter.

The pump should start as soon as you flip the breaker back on.

This is 240v and very capable of severe injury or even death. You should ALWAYS test using a reliable tester to be absolutely certain the power is off before you touch anything. If you are not completely confident in your ability, then call in a pro. No need to wait for the pool company, any qualified electrician will likely be able to repair the relay or at least get your pump running until parts can be obtained.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.