Pool pump tripping pool main breaker

quoted by RDspaguy:

"Check for anything else wired into the pump circuit. That does not have to be a dedicated circuit by code, so they could have wired something else in to it, cleaner pump, ozonator, even landscape lighting."

Yes. that is true re code, but for a hayward ecostar pump, it's mandatory, and a lot of the very experienced folks on here will hold strong on a dedicated circuit for a VSP, but unanimous on the ecostar. Many pool installers cut their costs by grouping as many products on a circuit as possible, only to the detriment of the pool owners performance, esp ecostars. If thus pump was only on the the proper dedicated GFCI circuit [and the main circuit was non-GFCI, then we'd already know if the heater/rats were an issue or not.

Few other things, the siemens has the highest mA rating on a GFCI breaker which is 6mA's. this is because to best handle the harmonics on VSDrives and the electrical noise they generate, the higher the mA rating is the better. I have also experienced my ecostarless to trip GFCI breaker after rains, during very humid days and more so in the summer when the heat is the greatest. The controller chip/design on this "pump" is flawed, so if you do not establish optimal operating conditions, you are already behind the 8-ball.

Again, how old is the pump and when did this problem start happening, AND was it associated w any other type of event? Since you live in SF, you have humidity, but not a tremendous amt of heat. Unless your pump sits in the sun most of the day w the wind blocked, I would not enclose it, and neither the heater, especially during operating it.

Oh, I agree that it SHOULD have it's own circuit. I am just saying that it often doesn't. And that I have seen 20 amp rated devices wired into 30 amp pump circuits by inexperienced pool guys before. I have no clue what the situation is with this equipment. The best I can do to help him is to tell him what I would do if I were on the job. Your idea is not bad, and may end up being the issue. But if we are guessing, and we are, try the cheap option first. I like to know what is wrong before I buy parts. It's kinda my job.

I think you guys were right about the pump. I did check heater and there was nothing what caught my eye but everything was working not an issue, until today.

Today pump failed to start and troughs "Drive stall error" which seems to be a common issue. With most of the pool services been closed for shelter in place, trying to figure out my options (I may start another thread).

Thanks again.

I think you guys were right about the pump. I did check heater and there was nothing what caught my eye but everything was working not an issue, until today.

Today pump failed to start and troughs "Drive stall error" which seems to be a common issue. With most of the pool services been closed for shelter in place, trying to figure out my options (I may start another thread).

Thanks again.

You can transition to pump discussion here.

Drive failures are common on the Ecostar pumps. Hayward EcoStar Pumps - Further Reading

Look at replacing it with a Tristar VS pump.

Reactions: kutsyy
You can transition to pump discussion here.

Drive failures are common on the Ecostar pumps. Hayward EcoStar Pumps - Further Reading

Look at replacing it with a Tristar VS pump.
If you are forced to stay w hayward bc of automation, then you are forced to go w the tristar...if no automation and you do not mind programming from the pad, you should definitely go w the Pentair Intelliflo...

Reactions: markayash
Sorry for taking long to reply.

First at all thank you for all comments recommendation.

I did ended up replacing Ecostar with TriStar. As it was mentioned in other forums Hayward offered TriStar pump at about 50% off as one time deal (with free shipping).

Thanks again.

Vadim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.