May 24, 2021
Oneco, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good Morning,
I currently have a Blue Torrent Sand Shark. it is 1/2 horsepower. My question is, am I able to purchase a 1 horsepower pump to the same sand filter set up? I dont think mine is strong enough

When you say not strong enough what issues are you having?

Is the pool not skimming well or are you not getting good vacuum performance. Something else you aren't happy with?

You can swap pumps but if there isn't something specific you are correcting a bigger single speed pump will just use more energy and be louder. The Eversource rates aren't going down anytime soon.

Reactions: navymom2016
When you say not strong enough what issues are you having?

Is the pool not skimming well or are you not getting good vacuum performance. Something else you aren't happy with?

You can swap pumps but if there isn't something specific you are correcting a bigger single speed pump will just use more energy and be louder. The Eversource rates aren't going down anytime soon.
Ugh Eversouce.. My least favorite bill collector.. LOL The issue is I feel like its not moving the water as is should. The skimmer sucks well. However, when the water is coming back out of the sand filter there is barely anything coming out. I have taken off every hose to make sure there isnt a clog and there isnt. I feel as if I dont have a strong enough pump.

The return will not feel like a firehose. If the skimmer is pulling in debris then the pump is moving sufficient water. Regardless you must brush your type of pool each day, unless it was swam in, as circulation with any size pump is poor. I suspect your pump is fine for the pool. But intervention via brushing it will keep it well mixed and not let algae form in dead spots.

The return will not feel like a firehose. If the skimmer is pulling in debris then the pump is moving sufficient water. Regardless you must brush your type of pool each day, unless it was swam in, as circulation with any size pump is poor. I suspect your pump is fine for the pool. But intervention via brushing it will keep it well mixed and not let algae form in dead spots.
thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.