Pool pump making loud noise after winter.

Aug 18, 2018
Ottawa
Hi there,

I've just started up my pool after opening after the winter, and the pump (Hayward Super II) is making a very loud noise while running.
Is my pump finished or is this something I can address myself?
I've attached a video of the noise.

Thanks,

Mark

Markus,

Yep, that's a bearing. Ask them how much it will cost to repair. Often this requires replace re-tap of the long bolts that hold the motor together because they corrode into the motor front flange. This can cost close to the cost of a motor replace. So I would ask them the price of both before you get locked in.

Chris

is this something I can address myself

Depends. If you're reasonably mechanically inclined and can disconnect and reconnect the 220 v the bearing replace can be easy. If the bolts are frozen it's "advanced DIY", involves drilling out and re-tapping up to 4 long tapped holes in the flange or a replacement flange. Replace the motor with a new one is easy peasy for medium level DIYer, again assuming you're OK with the electrical. Also, you will need to dissassemble the pump and replace the seal since the seal leak is what caused your bearing to fail in the first place. Disassemble of the pump itself and reseal is easy.. Look up videos online and gauge yourself it you can tackle it. Please note that very few of the bearing replace videos show the problems with the long bolts freezing but it happens a LOT.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Mark,

I'd second the VS drive if you want to spend a little more. If you pay $.10/KW the incremental cost is recovered in a year for me since I use it year round. Up north that would be a 2 year payout... still better than the cost of money!

Chris

I upgraded to a Pentair Superflo VS from a Hayward Superpump. My situation is a little different. My Superpump was almost new. It had run only 3 weeks before closing so I brought it in for the winter, but a spring flood soaked the motor. Next year the pump goes into a plastic tub....

Insurance paid for the replacement and I paid the difference.

The point is that I look at the return on investment as paying back the $370 difference, not the total as you need a pump anyways.

I am still amazed that 1/2 the speed = 1/8 the electrical.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.