Pool pump in Winter

joemkraus

Bronze Supporter
Sep 23, 2019
Saratoga, CA
I have learned a lot about pool chemistry this year. First year no Algae at all! Before TFP I was told that even in winter you need to run the pool pump 8 hrs or so even in the winter. I reduce the RMP to save money, but in one of my posts this summer regarding pool chemistry I was told that water cubulation is only for debris and has no effect on the chemistry.

So, what is the prevailing thought about how much do I need to run the pump in the winter? Note, I do NOT have a SWG so just "jug dumping" chlorine

Last edited:
Once chemicals are well-mixed in the water, then the pump is basically moving water to catch debris. Once winter temps drive-down the water temp, chlorine doesn't disappear nearly as fast, so you don't have to add chlorine as often. After the leaves fall, hopefully not as much debris flying around either. So it's common for areas that don't totally close-up (like up north) and keep everything connected take advantage of shorter pump run times. I've seen some who only run their pump an hour or so and do fine. But each pool is different based on region and such. You can experiment with yours though.

Joe,

If you don't close the pool for the winter, you still need some circulation, I would run the pump for 2 or 3 hours a day.. The comment about not running the pump I suspect had to do with running it long enough to have X water turnovers per day, which is not required.

Thanks,

Jim R.

thanks! I run now in winter a really low RPM for around 8 hrs. Perhaps I should run at highs RPM ( for skimming) and less hours. Nice to know that amount of circulation in winter (yes, I keep the pool "open") is not so critical, so will adjust accordingly

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.