Feb 8, 2022
San Diego, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
I was cleaning the pool this morning after the storms in California and ran into an issue after emptying the pump filter basket. When I went to turn the pump back on, I heard a humming noise, but nothing was moving. After reading some threads and watching some videos, it seems like the next step should be trying to manually turn the pump shaft and/or replacing the capacitor.

We are renting the house, but a crafty lease has us responsible for the pool maintenance, repair and equipment. I'm not sure when it was replaced, the old one was left sitting right next to it, or if there are any sort of warranties in play.
Pump: Xtreme Power US Model: 75034

I'm open to trying to manually turn the shaft or even replace the part, but I wanted to make sure my logic was sound before diving in.
Attached at pictures of the pump, filter, and electrical setup I'm working with. Please let me know any tips, tricks, or "gotchas" if you have any.

The plan
  1. Flip the "Power Disconnect" switch
  2. Test the pump doesn't turn on.
  3. Verify w/ multimeter there is no current/power to the pump? (Any advice where to test on the pump for this?)
  4. Remove the 2 rusted bolts on the pump cap
  5. Manually turn the shaft clockwise to try and dislodge any debris or corrosion
  6. Test/replace capacitor? (Is there a way you can tell it is bad?)
  7. Close it back up, enable the power again, and turn on the motor
  8. Repeat steps 4-5 if still hearing humming first time
Questions:
A.
Does the plan sound correct? or should I be considering a pool professional to do this instead?
B. Where can I test with a multimeter to make sure the power is off to the pump?
C. Is there a way to test the capacitor and see if it's good? Should I try to replace it?

Video of pump humming:

Attachments

• Full Setup.jpg
    Full Setup.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Pump Cap.jpg
    Pump Cap.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Pool Pump.jpg
    Pool Pump.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 14
Its a good plan, but it doesn't sound like you are that familiar with testing high voltage equipment. Be very careful.

Turn the power off at the breaker, that's the first step. You should be able to open the pump, remove the basket, and try to turn the impeller without opening the rear cover. If it turns you may have loosened anything that may be blocking the impeller. Reset the breaker. If it is powered by 240v be sure to feel that both sides of the breaker have reset. Turn the clock "on" and see what happens.

You test power at both the time clock (first) then the motor. Check the "line" side of the timeclock (terminals 1 and 3 of a 240v clock) then the "load" (terminals 2 and 4 of a 240v clock) with the clock in the "on" position. You should see 240 volts at 1 and 3 and then 2 and 4. If so go to the next step. Since the motor is humming, you likely have power through the clock but you should always check anyway.

If you can remove those rusted screws (looks like they might break), you test with the breaker and time clock "on." Set your meter to at least a 300v AC setting and carefully touch the two terminals that the wires exiting the conduit are attached to. The green wire is ground and can be ignored for now.

There are ways to test capacitors. A Google search will tell you how. If you have a "good" multimeter, it may have a test position for just that.

Hi all,
I was cleaning the pool this morning after the storms in California and ran into an issue after emptying the pump filter basket. When I went to turn the pump back on, I heard a humming noise, but nothing was moving. After reading some threads and watching some videos, it seems like the next step should be trying to manually turn the pump shaft and/or replacing the capacitor.

We are renting the house, but a crafty lease has us responsible for the pool maintenance, repair and equipment. I'm not sure when it was replaced, the old one was left sitting right next to it, or if there are any sort of warranties in play.
Pump: Xtreme Power US Model: 75034

I'm open to trying to manually turn the shaft or even replace the part, but I wanted to make sure my logic was sound before diving in.
Attached at pictures of the pump, filter, and electrical setup I'm working with. Please let me know any tips, tricks, or "gotchas" if you have any.

The plan
  1. Flip the "Power Disconnect" switch
  2. Test the pump doesn't turn on.
  3. Verify w/ multimeter there is no current/power to the pump? (Any advice where to test on the pump for this?)
  4. Remove the 2 rusted bolts on the pump cap
  5. Manually turn the shaft clockwise to try and dislodge any debris or corrosion
  6. Test/replace capacitor? (Is there a way you can tell it is bad?)
  7. Close it back up, enable the power again, and turn on the motor
  8. Repeat steps 4-5 if still hearing humming first time
Questions:
A.
Does the plan sound correct? or should I be considering a pool professional to do this instead?
B. Where can I test with a multimeter to make sure the power is off to the pump?
C. Is there a way to test the capacitor and see if it's good? Should I try to replace it?

Video of pump humming:
You might also try just wapping (yes a technical term) a metal part of the motor housing a few times with a short 2x4 or other piece of wood to see if you can just knock it loose and see if it starts spinning again. A new pump is not cheap so looks like your landlord get a good deal.

You might also try just wapping (yes a technical term) a metal part of the motor housing a few times with a short 2x4 or other piece of wood to see if you can just knock it loose and see if it starts spinning again. A new pump is not cheap so looks like your landlord get a good deal.
ah the ol smack it approach. That is a great plan to stat with, furthermore that could be considered as maintenance. Be funny to leave the wood next to the old pump as it develops a collection of dints around a X stating Whack Here.

To be bit scabby like the land lord.
A new pump, would that not be replacement, somewhat different to maintenance?

Would it be prudent to get a sparky to tell you first what power is running and if it is a capacitor. He may then run through a unofficial DIY for you to change it over rather than return. Or he may have one on him at the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.