Mikey0214

Oct 31, 2021
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
On Saturday we are having a party. There is going to be 50 adults and 12 kids. I want to plan accordingly to have the appropriate level of free chlorine before, during, and after the party to avoid any water issues after the party.

I maintain these levels everyday using liquid chlorine and the water has been great.

FC- 4.0 - 4.5
CC- 0
PH- 7.5
TA- 80
CH- 310
CYA- 50
….. although I checked it to today and it has since dropped to 40 since I switched from the pucks to liquid chlorine.

Any suggestions on what levels I should bring the FC to the day before the party and the day of the party ?

Thanks in advance!

With a CYA of 40, your FC target is 5-7. You are already below target. Add more to keep 5-7. Personally, I'd target 7-8.

I would get it back to 7 and keep it there. Safe to swim up to SLAM levels! You can test during the day and add chlorine to get it back to 7. Pour it in over the return and keep the party going. No issues!!!

Pool On!

Reactions: Mikey0214
With a CYA of 40, your FC target is 5-7. You are already below target. Add more to keep 5-7. Personally, I'd target 7-8.

I would get it back to 7 and keep it there. Safe to swim up to SLAM levels! You can test during the day and add chlorine to get it back to 7. Pour it in over the return and keep the party going. No issues!!!

Pool On!
I’ve been maintaining 4ish for a FC level because of the UV/Ozone filter in addition to my cartridge filter.

I know the recommended free chlorine level is 7% of your CYA level. Although, I could have sworn I read on here you can manage a free chlorine level of 5% of your CYA level if you have UV/Ozone.

Unless I’m mistaken ? Any thoughts

I think UV/Ozone might not be effective and I don’t believe it’s recommended by TFP. Only liquid chlorine or a SWG is recommended.

I’ve been maintaining 4ish for a FC level because of the UV/Ozone filter in addition to my cartridge filter.

I know the recommended free chlorine level is 7% of your CYA level. Although, I could have sworn I read on here you can manage a free chlorine level of 5% of your CYA level if you have UV/Ozone.

Unless I’m mistaken ? Any thoughts
Here is some reading on Ozone systems:

Here is some reading on UV systems. I had a UV. Cost me $1000. Took it out. Didn't do anything and just consumed more Free Chlorine. Outdoor pools get plenty of UV.

I've had my pool 3 years now, following TFP and the FC/CYA Levels recommendations. Couldn't be happier. Simple and super cheap.

The only thing that sanitizes your pool is to maintain enough Free Chlorine (FC) to sanitize your water, given your CYA levels.

UV is unnecessary and not measurably beneficial in an outdoor pool because you have natural UV from the sun. Ozone is not an approved sanitizer because it doesn't stay in the water.

7.5% FC as % of CYA is the minimum, not what you keep it at.

I would elevate to at least 10% and more like 15% before the party and again immediately after. Those 12 kids add a lot of... umm... bather load.

Keep in mind that with CYA, most of the chlorine is held in reserve attached to CYA, and not doing much of anything. Even at 15% FC, you have less active chlorine (the sanitizer) than what comes out of your tap (if you live in an organized area).

Nice to meet you via TFP. Have a great time at the party! :rockon::paddle::paddle:

I am go to talk about the party day as the others have covered the Oz/UV.

The day of the party bring your FC it just under SLAM level for you CYA. Have chlorine where you can grab it along with a net just in case someone floats a log :roll: If that does happen everyone out of the pool, get what you can with the net, turn the pump on high and add enough chlorine to get your FC back to just under SLAM level and let the pump run for 30 before allowing any one back in the pool.

As soon as everyone is out of the pool for the day turn the pump on high and dose TO SLAM level and let it run until you turn in for the night THEN just turn it down to low speed to run overnight to make sure the chlorine gets every where. Test it first thing in the morning

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.