Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know TFP does not look kindly on painting pools, but it has worked pretty well for me in the past and I expect this will be my last paint job before we leave our home in a year or so. Last paint job was about 6 years ago and I have a couple of questions for anyone familiar with/ experienced with painting with epoxy.
  1. I am planning to drain the pool, power wash, smooth rough edges in the current paint with sander, scrub with TSP solution, rinse, and let dry for a day or two... and then paint. Is it necessary to acid wash? I would prefer to avoid that if not absolutely necessary.
  2. Any thoughts on painting in the spring? I plan to start in early May when temps are consistently in 60s and 70s. My biggest worry about painting this time of year is dampness... and blowing debris, but I'd like to get it done before opening the pool. Should I be concerned about damage to the pool if it is empty for a week to 10 days?
  3. Any tips or pointers for getting the job done efficiently and effectively are appreciated.
Thanks.

Hey JP !!! The reason why we don’t look kindly on painting is that the paint has changed in the last few years. As, in, Literally the last 3-5 years depending on the brand. They have all gotten rid of the polymers and VOCs to make them environmentally friendly, but that’s what was needed to make them hold up to the water more than a year or 2.

So what used to last 5+ years only lasts a year or two now. It’s a big process to have to repeat so soon.

I hope this helps. :)

What did you do in 2019 ? Did you go ahead with it with so-so results or did the project stall until now ?

Painting project that I was considering in 2019 was delayed until now. If I had painted in 2019 and had to repaint now, I would not be a happy camper! I did contact Kelley Technical about their epoxy paint. I was told that the formula has not changed.... that it already met environmental standards and did not need to be reformulated. Also found out something interesting.... Olympic Zeron Epoxy Paint and In The Swim Super Poxy Shield are the same paint. I didn't know that and I can get the paint at slightly less cost through In The Swim. However, they no longer allow you to return unused gallons, so I need to be careful on estimating how much paint I will need. BTW, I decided to get an estimate from a pool company on painting the pool and they quoted $5,000.... so I'll be doing the job myself. Not sure why they charge so much. I figure about $800 for paint and supplies and about 20 hours of work. Is this job worth $200 per hour.... I don't think so!

One more question.... in case I run into any cracks in the pool that need to be repaired, what is the best product to use? I have some EZ Patch 1 FS on hand. Is that sufficient or do I need something else?

Thanks again.

Reactions: markayash
Painting project that I was considering in 2019 was delayed until now.
Great !!! So you have that going for you that it didn’t fail. :)
I did contact Kelley Technical about their epoxy paint. I was told that the formula has not changed.... that it already met environmental standards and did not need to be reformulated
Also GREAT !!! And as stated in your 2019 thread, if you find a product that lasts the 6 years everyone hopes for, we’ll all be asking you as the ‘pro’. :ROFLMAO:
Not sure why they charge so much
Everybody is swamped with work and labor costs are through the roof right now. With most tradespeople already booked for a year, they can name their price and if enough people take it, the price goes up again.
One more question.... in case I run into any cracks in the pool that need to be repaired, what is the best product to use? I have some EZ Patch 1 FS on hand. Is that sufficient or do I need something else?
Lemme call you some experts. @ajw22 @jimmythegreek.

keep us posted and well fed with pics. :)

Depends on the nature of the crack. When you find one post some pics and we can discuss.

Cant really help, I would steer anyone away from a pool paint job. Too much work for a short term fix and then you still deal with it again and again. A cheap white plain plaster is worth it and will last a long time.
As long as the paint has some elastomeric qualities micro cracks shouldnt be an issue, anything would work as a filler. A caulk tube concrete filler would be fine, I wouldnt use any surface patching stuff, the paint will make it show worst than it is

Thanks for the tips on filler for cracks. I will post an image of some areas that need patching for suggestions on the best product to use.
Started the paint job today. Day 1: Drain and clean. Tomorrow: Sand and patch. Next post will have some photos of areas that need to be patched. Thanks all.

IMG_1542.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Here are a few photos of what I'm working with in terms of cracks that need to be filled. Would appreciate any suggestion for how best to patch. I have EZ patch #1 and #4 on hand.
I'm assuming the photo showing the hairline cracks could just be painted over with the epoxy paint. There is not enough separation to even get anything in there. Thanks.

IMG_1544.jpegIMG_1545.jpeg

IMG_1543.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would use pool tile grout on the grout cracks next to the tile.

Thank you. I have EZ Patch #4 FS. Is that the right stuff? Also, any suggestions for smoothing out the rough edges of paint where I have scraped the loose paint away. I tried a #80 grit sandpaper with an orbital sander and it barely touches the epoxy paint! Do I need to use an angle grinder or just a heavier grit sandpaper to smooth out those rough edges? Thinking maybe a #40.... or even #20. Thanks for your help.

Thank you. I have EZ Patch #4 FS. Is that the right stuff?

Are you patching areas below water? The FS stuff is to patch below the water. It is tough to work with and a lot of it floats off the area you are trying to repair.

E-Z Patch® 4 (White) Pool Tile Grout Repair is better to work with regrouting areas above the water.​

Also, any suggestions for smoothing out the rough edges of paint where I have scraped the loose paint away. I tried a #80 grit sandpaper with an orbital sander and it barely touches the epoxy paint! Do I need to use an angle grinder or just a heavier grit sandpaper to smooth out those rough edges? Thinking maybe a #40.... or even #20. Thanks for your help.

I never dealt with a painted pool to know.

Last edited:
Get a sanding disc for the angle grinder. It's got a circular design like 100 pieces of sandpaper glued together on edge, used for feathering painted metal. Will take it right off, have to be careful. A wire brush on it might work well too

You need to be really careful with the surface prep. Paint on paint (especially epoxy type paints) is a recipe for failure and delamination. TSP cleans off organic gunk, it will not touch the epoxy itself. Acid will not etch epoxy. You need to call the paint manufacturer to see if they have a surface prep chemical. Sometimes you have to grind the epoxy to roughen it up, other times you need to use an organic solvent like xylene to open up the epoxy polymer. Only the manufacturer can give you the best advice on that.

Kelley Technical said to sand the entire surface of the pool (which I did), then use a one-step cleaner (Olympic Prep Magic). Scraping has been a nightmare... never seems to end. I expect next time this job is done the entire pool will need to be sandblasted. As for now, I am trying to make the best of it, but I fully expect some areas of the paint to fail. I would scrape until I thought I had all lose paint removed and then in the morning I would see lose edges again and the whole process started over. It seemed endless. I finally called it quits and started priming (areas where I was down to bare concrete... (see photo below). Tomorrow the final coat goes on! Thank God... at least the weather has been cooperative! very dry spring here in Chicago.

IMG_1559.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
I did contact Kelley Technical about their epoxy paint. I was told that the formula has not changed.... that it already met environmental standards and did not need to be reformulated.
In my opinion, paint is completely worthless.

The formula was changed in about 1999.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2019-title40-vol6/xml/CFR-2019-title40-vol6-part59.xml

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-1998-09-11/html/98-22659.htm

Friday, September 11, 1998.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY

National Volatile Organic Compound Emission Standards for Architectural Coatings

AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

ACTION: Final rule.

Last edited:
As for now, I am trying to make the best of it, but I fully expect some areas of the paint to fail
I would not continue knowing it is going to fail, possibly very soon.
I expect next time this job is done the entire pool will need to be sandblasted
Do it now while it’s easy.
(y)

I'm committed to the painting at this point. Will see how it goes and maybe do the sandblasting next time (at least 2 years hopefully). One quick question... What is the trick for keeping water out of the deep end of the pool while the paint on the floor dries? With the pressure relief valve on the main drain, I get about 90 minutes before water starts seeping back into the pool. I can vacuum it up now with a shop vac, but once painted I won'r be able to keep the vacuum down by the main drain. I tried hooking up a piece of hose from the main drain to the vacuum on the pool deck, but it is not strong enough to pull the water out of the pool. Is there some kind of pump that sits in the main drain that will pull water out while the paint on the floor dries? Help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.