Pool Painting

Can you snap a pic of the whole niche on the inside

See photo below. I added a little waterproof silicone caulk around the cable at the back of the housing

Question: That niche is supposed to fill with water, right? There is no water tight seal between the light and the niche/pool wall, right?

Hoping I hear from a pool company early this week. Otherwise, I'm just going to "pull the plug" on the pool light for this year.

IMG_1630.jpeg

I have some conduit and a junction box sticking up out of the ground with the wiring, maybe you have something similar? I think I’d look for that and maybe unhook the wires as well.

Yes. Good idea. I think that would be a good way to go. I discovered that if I pop the breaker, I also lose power that runs some accent lights and a fountain in my back yard, so disconnecting the wires at the junction box (and at the light switch) seems like it might be a good solution.

That is known as a “submerged wet niche” , it is buried in the gunite shell and so, once plastered, it is hydraulically sealed. The wire runs through a sealed conduit up to the water line (that part is usually buried under your deck) and then usually travels horizontally to J-box where an electrical connection is made to wiring running to your equipment pad. This is a good schematic -

79E9EAAB-1034-487E-A191-0EB17B2692C3.jpeg

A leak can occur if the wiring conduit is not properly sealed to the niche or the seal gets damage or any part of the submerged conduit develops a leak.

Keep us posted with how well it holds up !! Nothing would make us happier than for it to go very well making you our new painting guru.

• Haha
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Will do. I have done the job about 3 times previously, but every time I do it, it feels like I'm learning all over again. On average I have been getting 4-5 years out of a paint job. Went a little longer this time..... last time I painted was in 2014!

Reactions: Newdude
Will do. Temps going back down in Chicago after today, so we might not be in the pool for a week or so. Would you expect those things to start happening right away?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been over 2 months since I completed paint job. Have not seen any clouding in pool thus far and do not get any residue on hands and feet from sides/ bottom of pool. Seems to be holding up well so far. Following TFP guidelines for water chemistry, the pool has been looking great all season!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.