Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hey everyone! I’m new to pool ownership and it’s been raining a lot lately. I notice that my overflow is always clogged (blossoms from a tree, June bugs head first in the pipe stuck). I keep having to use a hose to flush it out.

Does anyone know of a simple product I can put on this overflow to keep it from getting clogged? Like a screen of some sort I can pop in there?

I’ve added some pictures of where it gets clogged (in the skimmer where that small hole/overflow valve starts).

Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• 7974C843-820A-4051-BD74-056C70FD7BEF.jpeg
    7974C843-820A-4051-BD74-056C70FD7BEF.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 40
  • DC47E585-8AEF-4FBD-81F5-8B8A2F7D418C.jpeg
    DC47E585-8AEF-4FBD-81F5-8B8A2F7D418C.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 40
Is that the overflow or the line to add water to the pool? If it is the latter, usually you do not fill your pool above this line for the reasons you just mentioned.

Hey, I just figured out a solution to the same problem The overflow line in my skimmer kept getting clogged with pine tree seeds. I bought a pack of 3/4 rubber chair caps from Home Depot. I cut a round hole in one of them and stuffed it with enough lint trap steel mesh so that it was secure inside the rubber cap. These rubber caps fit great into the skimmer overflow hole. Links below.

Hey, I just figured out a solution to the same problem The overflow line in my skimmer kept getting clogged with pine tree seeds. I bought a pack of 3/4 rubber chair caps from Home Depot. I cut a round hole in one of them and stuffed it with enough lint trap steel mesh so that it was secure inside the rubber cap. These rubber caps fit great into the skimmer overflow hole. Links below.

Hey thanks for the reply. I actually found a workaround as well if you want to try it. I just inserted a mesh hose washer in the hole. Here is a link to it: Danco, Inc. 80070 Hose Washers with Screen, Black Amazon.com

How is this working for you? Any signs of rust? Also, do you have to remove the screen to remove the skimmer basket for cleaning?

Thanks!
Works great. No rust. The screen I used is meant for hoses.

If I don’t remove the hose screen before I remove the skimmer basket, the screen gets sucked into the pool filter. Not a huge deal as when I clean the pool filter, I get back all the missing hose screens.

Anyway, when cleaning the filter basket, take the hose screen out first to avoid this. Then replace the filter basket and then the hose screen when done.

Conversely, I’ve also thought about permanently attaching the hose screen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.