Pool Opening

Not sure what happened, was on phone last night, looked like I had double posted, so I removed one of them, now they both gone.

Sorry for confusion for those re-reading the thread.

Anyway, no chance to test this morning to see what CYA has done, I dont plan to test it until most of the sock is gone.

To answer some of the previous questions/comments

According to pool math, I expect CYA around 20-30 when the socks are done.

When mentioning the expense of the liquid, I meant the conditioner liquid.

I wanted some CYA before I started the SLAM process, I thought this was a good idea, but looking at the weather, its supposed to start getting to 85 now during the days.

So, can I slam while doing CYA via sock or should I wait?

Currently Chlorine is probably under 1, just putting in half a gallon of 10% a day to keep pool pretty clear. I can see the robot at bottom of pool from my upper deck of house, probably 75ft away or so, will get a pic today when i get home from work, I had added one, but that is the post that I zapped.
  • You are likely good to go!
    • Have you run a final full set of tests, to make sure all parameters are good? (minus CYA)
      • :Note: PH gives false readings once you bump your FC to SLAM Process (or over 10)
    • Give 24-48hrs before you retest CYA and make sure the water is warmer than 60 (preferably room temp or higher)
  • Dose chlorine as if the CYA is there (it will be) :D
Side point: I don't know if you have menards near by, but they have their Liquid Pool Chlorine/Shock BOGO right now :)

Great, thanks all. Will start SLAM tonight.

Menards is kinda far for me, probably 30-40 miles away.

Pool store has 4x1g 10% for like $15. I need to use the calculator and check some prices, but pool store is super close :) Only other source that is really close is family dollar, I bought alot from there last year, but its 6%, so takes more bottles.

Neighbors probably think I am disposing of bodies...

• Haha
Reactions: splashpad
Great, thanks all. Will start SLAM tonight.

Menards is kinda far for me, probably 30-40 miles away.

Pool store has 4x1g 10% for like $15. I need to use the calculator and check some prices, but pool store is super close :) Only other source that is really close is family dollar, I bought alot from there last year, but its 6%, so takes more bottles.

Neighbors probably think I am disposing of bodies...
Depending on how much you can store, Menards is 4x1gal for $8, so almost half... BUT you would need to be able to store & haul a large quantity for it to be worthwhile. ;)

That is not a bad price from the pool store, no reason to not support them :)

Not if it says Pool Chlorine, all the bleach bottles, possibly :p

Finally home, CYA was still unreadable, but could tell it was cloudier. Went ahead and force fed another 1.5 lbs. This got me to 30ish.

Can retest tomorrow after it circulates a bit.

I raised FC to 4.0 and on that test got a hint of pink on CC, but 1 drop got it.

So water is pretty clear, not crystal clear :)

I can’t be home tomorrow, should I bring up to Slam with my last gal of bleach or wait til tomorrow?

I could prob run and get some 6% still tonight if going for it tonight.

Right on...

Raised to SLAM by measure..

Went to Lowe’s for more chlorine

Tested about 45mins after add FC 12.5
CC still 0-.5

So won’t add anymore tonight, will check in the morning, with another CYA test.

As usual thanks for advice

Tested this morning:
4/30 630am
FC down to 7.5 (Slam for me is 12.5)
CC: 0-0.5

Pool Calc says this is 3 quarts of 10%, I went ahead and used the whole gallon since I will be away to work today. Forecast is warm, up to maybe 80, but overcast. I won't be able to test until after work.

I plan to get another CYA test done today, and see if I need to add more to get to my 30 goal.

Pool looks good, will get a pic when I get home.

When I test PH it is at 7.0 still.... I know slam might increase it, so going to wait til after, but feel this is too low.

Thanks

Tested this morning:
4/30 630am
FC down to 7.5 (Slam for me is 12.5)
CC: 0-0.5

Pool Calc says this is 3 quarts of 10%, I went ahead and used the whole gallon since I will be away to work today. Forecast is warm, up to maybe 80, but overcast. I won't be able to test until after work.
Smart move... you definitely need to keep raising the FC as often as you can

I plan to get another CYA test done today, and see if I need to add more to get to my 30 goal.
CYA won't show for 24-48 hrs in test, assume it's there :) (for now)

When I test PH it is at 7.0 still.... I know slam might increase it, so going to wait til after, but feel this is too low.
Was this with the FC of 7.5? If so, can you cause aeration? (turn returns up, etc) It's not dangerously low, but lower than preferred.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Latest test
4/30 4:00pm
——————
FC 8.6
CC: forgot to test
PH 7.3
CYA:20-30
ALK: 50

Added my chlorine to raise to SLAM.

Looks about clear :). Here is pic with my tester/helper.

Perfect! Go with CYA/30 :) (It usually doesn't hurt to assume your CYA is higher if there is a question)

5/1 630am

FC: 8.5
CC: 0

Added 3q of 10% just to be safe to keep at slam level as of leaving for work.

I anticipate SLAM to be over tonight, will look for a CYA test tonight again, I have about 1/4 a pound left of conditioner from my 4lb bucket.

Ready for some Baking Soda to raise PH and ALK just a bit, once this Chlorine gets back down to normal. Then all I need is some sunshine :)

• Love
Looking great!
Use aeration to raise the pH. Point the return eye up to break the surface. That should help raise pH. The alternative is washing soda to raise the pH. You can find it in the laundry isle of your favorite grocery store.

Unless you like the practice, you are testing CYA more often than you need to. If you put the CYA in the pool and you feel confident of the pool volume, I’d wait a bit to test CYA again.

So this is what i see on menards.com . https://www.menards.com/main/health...5-c-10137.htm?tid=8525138333755471784&ipos=15

Love how they call it shock :) . it appears to just be 12% chlorine... i think ill go grab a few gallons.. anyone have a link for the 4 g for 8$? :)

oh snap, just realized it appears to be Buy one get one free.. thats 4 x gallons of 12% for 8$... thats awesome.
EDIT : just realized it was posted above :) but I just picked up 10 bottles for 20$ ...with an SWG I assume that will last me a long time for my Tub and Pool

Last edited:
well, with my hot tub I use quite a bit... based on how much it gets used... :) . my swg in the hot tub either isnt working, or something is wrong, because its eating FC like mad right now.
I figure each time I shock my pool this summer (it will be brand new) ill use a gallon at least.. so perhaps i will use it :)

Why would you have to “shock” your pool this summer? If you have a SWG on the pool and it is set properly, then liquid chlorine additions should be minimal.
When following the TFPC methods taught here, there is zero need to regularly “shock” a pool. That method is only used by pool stores as a bandaid to keep a pool sanitary & algae free.

Well, ive read on on multiple threads that after times of high use where even a bump in the SWG output cant keep up . For instance if you have 20-25 kids splashing around all day. the SWG cant keep up, or even close in that case.. WOuld that not be a time to add some chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.