Pool not dug deep enough? New construction

Thanks for your reply everyone,
Greatly appreciate the input.

I measured and had them come measure from top to bottom shotcrete its 6' and then - 6" from top where the water line will be the pool will be 5 and a half ft. They're saying they will refund the 1500 for the 6 to 7 ft difference and try and add plants later if I want them. This is a 70,000 dollar job and I'm not even getting something that goes past my neck. My financial company suggests I ask them what it will take to get to 7 feet and if they will have to completely redo it and dig everything out and how much it would cost them and make them refund me that.

The lady from the pb said shell call me back at the end of the day after she talks to operations manager. I'm very angry about this I could explode. They did give a few upgrades for being a veteran like blue plaster instead of white so I'm trying not to be too angry with them, but if I knew this is how deep it was going to be I wouldnt have put in a pool because to me it's not worth it. And I'm sure they give everyone incentives like that for business anyway! Im so maaad! Lol

Will post the PB resolution when we find out...

they likely use subcontractors who may or may not have insurance for this. however, usually defective work or improperly done work isn't covered by the normal general liability policy. they would need to have "extra" coverage for that. sorry.

Like I said earlier, this is his problem, not yours. He needs to rip out the entire thing, dig deeper and rebuild. It's not your fault he screwed up big time. Just tell him the finance company won't pay for a pool that wasn't built to the contract specifications. I'm sure there are insurance implications, too.

If the contract says 7 feet, and the pool is materially less than that (and it is), he is in breach of contract. The PB either needs to redo it, or pay for someone else to do so. Stick to your guns on this, and tell him you will take it to court or arbitration if he doesn't make it right. Your contract very likely has an attorney fee clause, so it will end up costing him a lot more to go that route.

If I were you, I would consult with an attorney. Shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred bucks for a consultation and a letter on the attorneys letterhead describing what will happen if he doesn't fix it. You will be amazed what a letter like that will accomplish. The sooner the better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey everybody! An update!

They said they wanted to resend somebody to come and measure exactly how deep it is so they can see how much they can actually refund me. I told the pb I wasn't interested in that and they should know, had I known they would short me a foot and a half that and the pool only being 5.5 ft I wouldnt have even hired them to build it, you can buy an above ground pool that deep for only a couple grand. I told her I wanted it fixed. And that 1500 and a plant isn't enough for me to accept a pool I now dislike because it's not what I wanted by any means. They called me back and what the lady said is that it's out of her hands now shes out of the loop and supposedly they're going to talk to all of the foreman for rebar, shotcrete, plumbing, and excavation and have them jackhammer the bottom out and dig deeper and redo the rebar plumbing etc. She said if I dont hear anything by Tuesday to call back again.

This after they told me they couldn't fix it and they would have to tear all of the shotcrete out and start over from scratch and they dont want to do that, then she asked oh but your loan expires on this day and I said I got an extension so she was like oh ok.

So hopefully they'll fix it, and it won't ruin the integrity of the pool.

Does anyone know if the pool will maintain its structural integrity?

Thanks in advance!

Take pics or videos as they redo the bottom of the pool. It may all turn out ok or it may not. Having the pictures to reference may help you if things don't go well.

If I were you I would find an independent structural engineer who can be on site during their work and review what they do and tell you if it is acceptable. It will cost you a bit more but be a small amount compared to what you have invested in this project. Having your own independent engineer on site may prevent the PB from taking any shortcuts on a money losing job.

Can you have them dowel in some new rebar on top of the existing beam, shoot more gunite, and have the pool stick out of the ground two feet? You’d have a nice seat wall along the edge. I’ve seen some pools like that and it can look really good. All this would be at no extra charge of course.

Can you have them dowel in some new rebar on top of the existing beam, shoot more gunite, and have the pool stick out of the ground two feet? You’d have a nice seat wall along the edge. I’ve seen some pools like that and it can look really good. All this would be at no extra charge of course.

The skimmers need to be raised to make something like that work.

Hey everybody! An update!

They said they wanted to resend somebody to come and measure exactly how deep it is so they can see how much they can actually refund me. I told the pb I wasn't interested in that and they should know, had I known they would short me a foot and a half that and the pool only being 5.5 ft I wouldnt have even hired them to build it, you can buy an above ground pool that deep for only a couple grand. I told her I wanted it fixed. And that 1500 and a plant isn't enough for me to accept a pool I now dislike because it's not what I wanted by any means. They called me back and what the lady said is that it's out of her hands now shes out of the loop and supposedly they're going to talk to all of the foreman for rebar, shotcrete, plumbing, and excavation and have them jackhammer the bottom out and dig deeper and redo the rebar plumbing etc. She said if I dont hear anything by Tuesday to call back again.

This after they told me they couldn't fix it and they would have to tear all of the shotcrete out and start over from scratch and they dont want to do that, then she asked oh but your loan expires on this day and I said I got an extension so she was like oh ok.

So hopefully they'll fix it, and it won't ruin the integrity of the pool.

Does anyone know if the pool will maintain its structural integrity?

Thanks in advance!

They are playing all of the angles up there ^^^^^ From "remeasure to see how mu they CAN refund you" (REALLY??) to "shes out of the loop" (oh so she does not know what she is talking about? Then why would you call her back?) to "oh your loan runs out"....how does she even know that??? GOOD job on YOU for shooting it all down!!

Now finally saying "talk to all of the foremen" to do something they said could not be done but now can be!! Stick to your guns! It is YOUR pool and YOUR money! This is something YOU have to life with while paying for it each month. Lets make sure there is a smile on your face each time you make a payment!

I am going to ask someone to step in that might be able to comment on the shell integrity once the work is done. MY gut says it will be find as what they will do is jackhammer out shell then cut the rebar as they find it until they get to dirt again. THEN they will dig out to where is should have been from the beginning. Then they will tie the new rebar into the old rebar and go from there. This will also include the slope from the shallow end.

Kim:kim:

I emailed and asked for an adequate warranty and assurance that if anything happens or goes wrong the pb will fix it.
Now i am concerned about the pool shell. If they would give me 15000 refund I'd settle for this, but they did not provide me this as an option and offered 1500 and a plant.
Will post more when I can,

Thank you for everyone's response, I greatly appreciate it!

I would want the whole thing replaced. All I am thinking about it all the cut rebar moving over the years and coming in contact with the plaster job or moving the 2 shells that u will now have. And then u have 2 joints to deal with. That sounds like a mess. 15 grand wouldn’t be enough for me cause if it ever failed it’s the cost of a new pool. New pool or court it would be for me. I don’t care how long I would have to look at that hole in the ground.

im sooooo sorry I have to go though this. Tell them to stick thier plant u know where and tell them to use a rose bush ya boot!

Blue plaster is about 150 worth of dye.

I would not accept the job. Your right for 70k you should get what the contract states. Nice guy or not this is a substantial variance from your contract.

It's my very very last and least and recommendation but get a lawyer who specializes in construction

Sorry. B

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.