Pool Newbie with question

shannonck

Aug 9, 2019
Ocean County, New Jersey
new house, new to us pool! (vinyl, de pump, 24k gallons) i've been getting by with the hach strips / occasional water testing at local pool place will purchase full kit for next year. The last few weeks saw some algae here and there and pink-ish slime that comes off by hand not so much with brush..anyhoo...today local pool store gives me these readings:
FC-0
TC-0
CH-160
CY-40
TA-60
ph 7.2
phosphates/iron/copper-0
tds-400
Every time i have shocked my pool this year it has shown chlorine on the test strip pretty significantly for the next 12-24 hours. i shocked with 2 bags of shock from leslies at 10am this morning. i tested it at 630pm and the stirps read zero, a few of them.
Do I shock again? add liquid chlorine? worry about alkalinity first....i'm at a loss
Please tell me what to do (and in what order :) )
thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

First thing's first, if you want to work on this this year than you need to get the test kit this year, not next. Test strips are completely and utterly worthless and pool stores aren't any better. Nothing taught here can be accomplished with test strips or pool store testing.

So first thing is to get a TF-100 or k-2006c on order. Given that you are seeing pink slime (not good) I would get the TF-100 and spring for the XL option because you are probably going to need extra reagents.
Second thing, while you wait, is to throw out those test strips. If you keep them you will only be tempted to try them and trust them and that can lead to following phantoms. Get rid of them.
Third thing is to stock up on liquid chlorine. You're going to need quite a bit. Not powder shock, you cannot follow the next steps with that stuff.

While waiting on the kit you may add a gallon of liquid chlorine per day (if you are currently using tablets to chlorinate remove those for now) and you want to do a bit of reading. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a key place to start. Then browse Pool School for just some general information. It's going to be incredibly overwhelming, but trust me, it comes together and there's plenty of very helpful people here happy to guide you through it.

Finally when your kit arrives you will want to do a full batch of tests. Remember, pool store testing is unreliable so treat this as the very first test you are doing on your pool. A moment you will look back on with pride that you took full control of your water. Post those numbers up for us to offer comment on, but from there you will begin the SLAM Process to eradicate the organics growing in your water. This is going to be the first step to fixing the problem and setting you up to never running in to it again.

And ask all the questions you have along the way. If you are willing to put in the effort we are willing to guide you through it.

Reactions: frogabog
Welcome to TFP!

First thing's first, if you want to work on this this year than you need to get the test kit this year, not next. Test strips are completely and utterly worthless and pool stores aren't any better. Nothing taught here can be accomplished with test strips or pool store testing.

So first thing is to get a TF-100 or k-2006c on order. Given that you are seeing pink slime (not good) I would get the TF-100 and spring for the XL option because you are probably going to need extra reagents.
Second thing, while you wait, is to throw out those test strips. If you keep them you will only be tempted to try them and trust them and that can lead to following phantoms. Get rid of them.
Third thing is to stock up on liquid chlorine. You're going to need quite a bit. Not powder shock, you cannot follow the next steps with that stuff.

While waiting on the kit you may add a gallon of liquid chlorine per day (if you are currently using tablets to chlorinate remove those for now) and you want to do a bit of reading. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry is a key place to start. Then browse Pool School for just some general information. It's going to be incredibly overwhelming, but trust me, it comes together and there's plenty of very helpful people here happy to guide you through it.

Finally when your kit arrives you will want to do a full batch of tests. Remember, pool store testing is unreliable so treat this as the very first test you are doing on your pool. A moment you will look back on with pride that you took full control of your water. Post those numbers up for us to offer comment on, but from there you will begin the SLAM Process to eradicate the organics growing in your water. This is going to be the first step to fixing the problem and setting you up to never running in to it again.

And ask all the questions you have along the way. If you are willing to put in the effort we are willing to guide you through it.
Thank you! I’m started reading and checked amazon and I can get the k-2006 by Sunday. Would you recommend me waiting til the 19th to get the tf-100 or get the 2006 Sunday?

Get the TF100.
The K2006 you will need FAS-DPD and CYA refills immediately. It is undersized for your needs.

Welcome to TFP!

I ordered the strips. I’m reading now. I do have 2 gallons of liquid bleach in the pantry, regular bleach but it’s linen scent, is that ok to use?

I ordered the strips. I’m reading now. I do have 2 gallons of liquid bleach in the pantry, regular bleach but it’s linen scent, is that ok to use?
I'm going to guess "strips" is a typo since you just said you ordered a TF-100.

Big fat NO on the linen scent bleach. No scent, no color, no splashless, no anything special. Just get regular bleach. It should be 6%.

Welcome to TFP!

I ordered the strips. I’m reading now.
I'm going to guess "strips" is a typo since you just said you ordered a TF-100.

Big fat NO on the linen scent bleach. No scent, no color, no splashless, no anything special. Just get regular bleach. It should be 6%.
Sorry yes- I meant I ordered the kit!
Ok! I’ll get some bleach tonight & start reading!!!!

Reactions: frogabog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to TFP!

Ok so I got my kit in the mail and this is what I’m working with.
Chlorine-.5 safety test kit but O using the drop test
Alkalinity-50
Calcium-225
Ph 6.8
Cya 60
It’s 24k vinyl pool. De filter. Won’t hold chlorine at all

OK, so we'll go with 0 FC for now.

Using Pool Math, add enough bleach/liquid chlorine to get to 9ppm. Wait 1hr, test again. Report back with a powder/drop test FC and CC level. Don't bother with the OTO (yellow drops) test. We're going to assume when you add the bleach that you will be raising it to 9ppm. The 1hr later test will tell us more about your FC loss and what is happening with your water.

Your pH is a little low. You can use aeration to raise pH (which will take some time but that should be ok), or you could add a little borax. Go slow on the borax, maybe add just enough to get it to 7.0 first, then test again and add a little more to get to 7.2 if needed (or aerate at that point). Borax will raise your TA a little, so be careful. It is better to aerate if you want to keep your TA as is (it's fine there but will be ok to raise it a little as well). Use Pool Math.

Yep... looks like you need to follow the SLAM Process. You just started a battle with the chlorine you added. Raise FC to SLAM level and maintain. Brush, and test hourly (if you can), re-raise FC back to SLAM level.

How's the water look? I imagine it will become cloudy when you get the FC up to SLAM level.

3ppm loss in 1 hour is a lot, plus 1.5 CC is definitely worth noting.

Yikes! Ok so how many gallons of bleach are we talking I should buy? I watched the videos and read a bunch but it’s overwhelming.
Based on my earlier cya of 60 and my current 6 fc it says add 7 gallons. I’ll run to the store now , bit is it a good idea to start at 8pm?
The water looks fine with the exception of it being a bit dirty on the bottom and some algae spots I missed while brushing

To eradicate algae, you follow the SLAM Process

Use Poolmath. Raise your FC to SLAM level as per FC/CYA Levels. Maintain the FC at that level by testing and adding liquid chlorine as often as possible. At least 3-4 times per day. Brush your pool daily.

It's hard to determine how much bleach it will take, but let's assume you'll lose 1-3ppm per hour for the first few days. Calculate bleach for that? Just get a lot! hehe

You can start at 8pm, sure. Chlorine is more effective (meaning none is lost to sun) after dark anyway. FWIW, another member here started with a green pool very late on Tuesday night this week, and today has already shown so much progress due to diligent testing and re-adding FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.