Pool Math........The App

There would have to be many factors considered here to calculate that. The pump type, it’s speed of moving water would change the amount of CL that the SWG would produce.
Your understanding is just wrong. The only factor is run time and % of output, which is why I and others have requested ability to record/track the run time in addition to the % of output in the logs.

I get what you are saying Lebo, but at same time I now very rarely (perhaps never) would bother using my PC to maintain my pool, and my laptop is Chromebook and tablet is Android. So perhaps Windows 10 approach may be a bit dated.

- - - Updated - - -

Pounds of chlorine gas added to pool = (pounds of chlorine gas produced by SWG/24 hours) x (% output) x (pump run time with sufficient flow to activate flow switch)

FC in ppm = (Pounds of chlorine gas added to pool) / (Pounds of pool water)

My IC 40 produces 1.4lbs of chlorine per day. So if I run my SWG at 35% for 6 hours -

(1.4/24) x (0.35) x (6) = 0.1225 lbs

0.1225 / 133,440 = 0.92ppm

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

+1 --- Using the exact approach I've created a table in Google Sheets that shows the run time across the top and output % down the page. Shows the output then for each intersection which has been very helpful to me.

Windows 10 app? Meh. :p

+1!

I use my computer as little as possible, relying on my phone the vast majority of the time. I was on an iPhone, currently on an Android (Samsung). I can see the draw for some people for a large-screen Windows app, but since I use a Mac, I'll play devil's advocate here and ask "why not a web app?" Then, we could all have the exact same experience regardless of the OS we're using.
Agree and I had suggested a while back that the separate apps approach, along with approval needed to get apps posted, seems to be inefficient. But Lebo explained their approach just rode it out. But once you start saying why you can't do something in Android or IOS apps, and then introduce Windows 10, well, it seems a well written web based app may be the better approach as any device (Android, PC, Linux, Chrome, IOS, etc) can use the app. Managing 3 apps and requiring people to use one vs. another to get the right "feel" may be cause for pause to reflect on the development roadmap.

A notes field in the test logs could be optional "show/hide notes" and in my opinion doesn't have to display on the summary page, which would help reduce that clutter. If I want to see notes for a particular test, I can open that test and look at the notes ("looks slightly green" or "after rain", etc.)
+1 again!

I’m not sure it’s that exact. When set at less than 100% the SWG cycles on and off. So it averages out to the % setting if left on long enough to complete full on/off cycles. But if your pump timer cuts it off interrupting a cycle, it wouldn’t necessarily match the % setting.

I’m not sure it’s that exact. When set at less than 100% the SWG cycles on and off. So it averages out to the % setting if left on long enough to complete full on/off cycles. But if your pump timer cuts it off interrupting a cycle, it wouldn’t necessarily match the % setting.

This is an important point that tends to get ignored. I only know two brands for sure: my own at 10 minute cycles with polarity reversal on a separate timer; and Hayward with firmware 1.55 at 180 minute cycles (v1.5 was 120 minutes). The Hayward runs whatever % of 180 minutes at the beginning of a three-hour cycle, then reverses polarity at the end of the 180 minutes. After it shuts down, the next cycle starts fresh for 180 minutes. To the best of my knowledge, the polarity reverses on each shutdown as well, so for some pump run times and % settings, it may not be reversed long enough, providing a possible reason for more frequent scale issues.

If you set a Hayward SWG to 50%, and run your pump for 1.5 hours, the SWG will run 100% of the time. If you run it for 4.5 hours, the SWG will run 67% of the time. If you run it for 3 hours, 6 hours, or any multiple of 3 hours, it will run according to the percentage.

It's certainly possible to set up a calculator to account for this, but you'd need a slightly longer calculation, and the chlorinator brand and firmware revision. A calculation could get the correct cycle time from a table of various chlorinator brands and firmware revisions. Or you could also have a user-selectable cycle time, with a reference table for the user. I haven't seen a SWG calculator or Excel table that accounts for this, probably because it would be a bit painful gathering the operating characteristics.

Perhaps already reported, but log display on my phone to (Android) has elements overlapping. Is there a fix in the works?
646dea5cb424007aa24966c16d48e55d.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2. Windows 10 version created mostly because we wanted the big screen's to show large amounts of data

I would have to agree with others regarding windows 10 app. A web based approach is much better.

The goal appears to be having a a large screen experience to show/analyze data. This limits that experience to only those on Windows 10, what about OSX, or Linux users? Web based approach is much more scalable and maintainable.

Why not do a PWA? Then you have a consistent interface along all platforms.
I would have to agree with others regarding windows 10 app. A web based approach is much better.

The goal appears to be having a a large screen experience to show/analyze data. This limits that experience to only those on Windows 10, what about OSX, or Linux users? Web based approach is much more scalable and maintainable.

I’d really like to thank all for their feedback. I greatly wish to thank each of you who have supported both the development of the App and the expansion of the forum by subscribing to the App. I chuckle when I see “other” calculators that have been bought out by investors for the purpose of making a quick buck. I chuckle as these calculators have had links added to them selling chemicals that are VERY questionable for use. Id also like to add that funds from this App are being put right back into future development of the app plus continued improvement to TFP. This year the creation of the Pool School eBook was funded by subscriptions and as is were seeing about 50-60 users per day download this book. Many of these users have NO idea about the website, but they’re being taught TFPC. Additionally this year we’re seeing record amount of new users to the website. Many of these users are finding TFP after finding PoolMath in the App Store. These users are finding out about TFPC by downloading the App and they’re maintaining their pools without ever visiting the forum. All of this is thanks to all of the subscribers to the App and supporters to TFP. On behalf of all users who are enjoying their pools, thank you! Saturday will be PoolMath App’s first birthday and already the benefits are being seen.

So the question I’m seeing over and over is why Windows 10? Why not a Web version of PoolMath as it covers ALL users??

Truth is, I agree with your mindset. Building a version for the web will cover everybody who doesn’t wish to use an iOS or Droid version. I cannot disagree with this mindset. That said, in our eyes a Win 10 version still is the best path for us to take at this time. While a webpage version is an option in the future a Windows 10 version is still a very logical path today. Currently to create a webpage version of PoolMath that ties into the App we would have to start from square one. On the flip side a large majority of the code used for the iOS/Android App can easily be converted to create a Windows 10 App. Microsoft has done a great job providing developers tools to create Apps for the Windows Store that it takes a good bit of effort out of the headache of creating a Windows App. In fact we’re able today to announce today that TFP Users can download a copy of Pool Math for their Windows 10 machines from the following link,
PoolMath for Windows 10

We hope some find use for this platform in the future as we continue to create tools for TFP users to maintain their pools.

Look at y'all go! People ask and TFP provides answers and solutions...BRAVO!! Please do not discontinue the app version as our home is completely Apple centric...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.