Pool Math........The App

Hi,
Am unclear on what's the right way to enter chemical info for FC. I buy 10% chlorine from Home Depot (as shown on the jug label).

Should I enter "10" in the fill form of Pool Math? I am confused what "trade" means (unchangeable field after the user entered %.).

PS I selected the 128 oz jug.
/Thanks.

Hi,
Am unclear on what's the right way to enter chemical info for FC. I buy 10% chlorine from Home Depot (as shown on the jug label).

Should I enter "10" in the fill form of Pool Math? I am confused what "trade" means (unchangeable field after the user entered %.).

PS I selected the 128 oz jug.
/Thanks.

Yes you enter 10%
The jug size does not change the calculations, just helps you determine the jugs to add for the calculated OZ amount.

So here's a small "quirk" that I've noticed. It's not a showstopper but I'll mention it here anyway (could have already been mentioned, I didn't read all 59 pages). I'm finding the app to be awesome, by the way!

I have PoolMath for iOS running on both my iPhone and iPad. If I add a test result on my iPhone and then launch PoolMath on my iPad, the result doesn't show up on the Overview page. So I go to the Logs page, and it's not there either... so I swipe down to refresh and it now appears on the Logs page. Then I go to the Overview page and the updated test result is still not shown. I have to actually terminate the app on the iPad and relaunch for the new results to show on the Overview page.

This issue occurs whether test results are entered on the iPhone and the iPad and then you try to view on the other device.

The issue also occurs even if I force terminate the app prior to re-opening it after the change, except if I do this then the Logs page is automatically updated on launch but the Overview page still shows the previous results.

(BTW, if you need testers for any new versions, IT Engineer here who's done some programming and does automation and scripting at work. ;) Looking forward to trying the Win10 app too when it's available. )

I recently tried to install PoolMath on my new iPad Pro and I could not get my data to show up there. I tried several times to get it to work but had to abandon the effort as I was going on a trip for a while. I will try some more testing when I get back.

The developers are aware of this weird sync issue and are looking into it.

I recently tried to install PoolMath on my new iPad Pro and I could not get my data to show up there. I tried several times to get it to work but had to abandon the effort as I was going on a trip for a while. I will try some more testing when I get back.

I had reported similar on my new Android phone. I signed out and then back in and data showed up.

My issue sounds slightly different than yours, though it's possible they are related. In my case both apps are logging in and syncing, it just has to do with how the sync functions on app resume and when the Overview page gets updated.

I traded PM's with Leebo and the team is on it.

This may have already been requested, but how about the ability to add notes to test logs?

I know I can enter notes separately, but they're not tied to a specific log entry.

Example:

I just finished a fresh fill on my newly remodeled pool. I ran a full test today for baseline before any chemicals are added by me or PB. I would have liked to put in a note on that test log as "Initial Fill / Baseline"

I also took a water sample to Leslie's to compare their numbers to mine. I would have liked to enter those test results into the app with a note of "Leslie's test / Baseline"

Tomorrow after PB adds their initial batch of chemicals I will run another test that I would note "After PB startup #1" or something like that.

Etc., etc., etc.

Thanks for the great work!

I use the Notes logs quite a bit because I do several pools. I've adopted a habit of changing the time of the note to just a few minutes before the chemistry tests. So when I review logs, I see my note at the bottom, then the testing, then any chem addition or other logs. Now that I'm used to it, it's working well for me.

I believe notes got separated because some folks like to enter quite a bit of text, while others need very little, so it makes it hard to allocate space for the note, without it being separate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
rinaldok, as I answer this please don't read what I'm saying as an excuse. Please see it as a story why we're not where you're wanting just yet. ;)

The reason notes were separated was because of the lack of space on the logs page. We wanted users to mostly see raw numbers on that page and as many of them as possible, which is limited on a mobile device. This is the same reason we kept notes "hidden" on the first version, simply because of space. That said, I see your point and can even think of numerous other scenarios where user's observations would help further explain why the test results look like they did. That said, let me explain why I'm leaning towards keeping them un-connected as they are. Currently the only way to really see a long term trend using PoolMath is by scrolling the Logs page and forming a picture in your head concerning trends. It's almost impossible to see any long term items that maybe occurring currently as you're always looking at a small part of the picture. This leads its way to graphs as they do a great job clearly showing the user long term trends that are occurring. As is we've setup and tested graphs in Beta but ran into a problem........they looked/acted horrid on a phone. Maybe this is simply me but I had a VERY hard time sorting the data out on my phone as even in landscape it all looked very small. It just wasn't working for me. This lead us to look at larger screened devices as the answer to fix this problem. Tablets or Computers do a GREAT job at showing the big picture when it comes to data. The larger screens really shine verses the smaller screens of your phones. After looking at our options we felt its made since to go ahead and start aggressively working on a Windows 10 version of the App to bring the PoolMath App to your desktop/laptop. Currently we're about 99% of the way complete. In fact there's a live and working version on the Windows App store, but we've got it hidden for now. Jon (the developer) is out of town on business and we don't want to do a public release without him being around to address any issues.........we learned what happens there the first time. :( Once this is complete then our attention shifts back to graphs where you can see trends better.

So how does all this address your request?? Our thinking (maybe right, maybe wrong) is once we launch graphs the majority of end users will use graphs more than the Logs pages to see trends. They won't even see the notes that much......but that doesn't mean the notes are pointless. Here notes can help explain why a test result occurred as it did once the answer is known (IE A large drop in FC can be explained by having a large swim party). To help address this we've got an idea but I can't toss it out there just yet as we're unsure how much altering of the code we'll need to do to achieve this.

Cliff notes as I know I went around in circles:
1. Graphs are likely the future
2. Windows 10 version created mostly because we wanted the big screen's to show large amounts of data
3. Our guess is most people will use graphs verses the logs once we launch them
4. We've got an idea to tie your the graphs in with your notes IF we can make it happen technically

Before I pay for the app I wanted to confirm one thing which I am uncertain on. If I have my little Intex SWG in boost mode how do I track that additional CL2 being added to the pool? Do I just estimate?
I do not think it tracks the FC added by a SWG ... it just can track the % output from a SWG.

I do think it would be nice to have the ability to input the amount of CL your SWG can make and have it calculate the added ppm given the % output setting and pump run time. There are other calculators that do this, but I do not think it is in the PoolMath App at this point.

Thanks for the detailed response Leebo.

Graphs are a great idea.

Windows 10 app? Meh. :p

I use my computer as little as possible, relying on my phone the vast majority of the time. I was on an iPhone, currently on an Android (Samsung). I can see the draw for some people for a large-screen Windows app, but since I use a Mac, I'll play devil's advocate here and ask "why not a web app?" Then, we could all have the exact same experience regardless of the OS we're using.

A notes field in the test logs could be optional "show/hide notes" and in my opinion doesn't have to display on the summary page, which would help reduce that clutter. If I want to see notes for a particular test, I can open that test and look at the notes ("looks slightly green" or "after rain", etc.)

And just to address the elephant in the room... Leslie's recently-released app isn't completely awful, perhaps you can get some inspiration for some design cues there. After all, 90% of software development is copying. :cool:

There would have to be many factors considered here to calculate that. The pump type, it’s speed of moving water would change the amount of CL that the SWG would produce.

This is not true. The chlorine output of the SWG is not a function of the water flow. It is either on (there is enough flow for the switch) or off (not enough flow). The % setting is just the amount of time in a set period of time that the SWG is generating.

Pounds of chlorine gas added to pool = (pounds of chlorine gas produced by SWG/24 hours) x (% output) x (pump run time with sufficient flow to activate flow switch)

FC in ppm = (Pounds of chlorine gas added to pool) / (Pounds of pool water)

My IC 40 produces 1.4lbs of chlorine per day. So if I run my SWG at 35% for 6 hours -

(1.4/24) x (0.35) x (6) = 0.1225 lbs

0.1225 / 133,440 = 0.92ppm

Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.