Pool Math........The App

Just downloaded it.
My first observation is that it only gives you options to log with SocialMedia accounts.
Can I just log in with my email and password???
On setup of the pool i initially started with metrics after all setup saved then went to adjustments and changed to gallons. Did the conversion alright but crashed and had to restart but the change was saved so no problem.

Looks awesome!!!

Felipe

To all of those who submitted bugs or ideas, THANK YOU! I'm working on writing back to each of you but it's taking longer than I'd like. I'm reading and logging each idea/issue though and working with Jon to get them addressed. Keep them coming as the information is greatly helpful, just please give me time to respond back. :)

The app does not pull any personal information from any of the login methods.

Basically the only reason it is currently being done this way is so that TFP / the app do not have to deal with the customer service issues of people forgetting their login information ;)

I may be showing my computing ignorance here. Why use Social sites FB, G+, etc as a login method? And then it says it has access to public profile (FB). Any user name and PW would work just fine.
Is the app using those sites to act as the cloud to store the app data or are the logs stored local to the device?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said before, if you picked a username and password and then forgot your password, who would you contact? Well, probably the app developer or TFP admin. They have enough on their plate and do not want to have to help with that type of issue. So, by using one of the social media accounts, if you forget your password, you have to take it up with that social media company. That is the ONLY reason the login is currently done that way. Eventually we hope to be able to tie it into your TFP account, but that would have delayed the launch.

The app does NOT use the social media accounts for storing any data or anything besides allowing you to log in. The app stores information on its own dedicated server and on your device.

Hey folks, developer here, just wanting to chime in on a couple things.

1. First of all thanks for all of the solid and constructive feedback you've given so far. We've already identified a number of issues and fixed them here. A new beta version is due to be released today or tomorrow with many of the fixes :) It's really helpful to receive detailed and accurate accounts of how to reproduce any issues you come across. Thanks for that!

2. There's a bit of discussion about the social login. These days, most users will have one of the 4 options provided. One of the main reasons we didn't elect to do a user name and password is simply because it's actually less secure to do that. It would mean we would have to store your username and a one way hash of your password on our servers.

Considering how many people use the same password for multiple services, there's an added liability on us if we store your passwords that I'd rather avoid. I won't get into details about how OAUTH2 works exactly, but basically now if your social 'token' gets exposed from our servers (which are hosted securely in Azure by the way), the worst someone could do with it is see your name and email address. We don't collect any personal information other than storing your email address locally on your device so that we can display it in the top left corner of the slide out menu in the app. That's it.

Implementing social authentication was actually MUCH more effort from a development perspective for me than implementing a simple username and password. I would rather have avoided that effort, but I don't think that would have been the right decision.

Eventually we may add the ability to login with your TFP forum account, but there's quite a bit of effort involved in making the app talk with the forum securely to do so. Also, that would mean anyone who wants to use the app would require a TFP account, which not everyone will (many users will download the app from the store without having heard of TFP - until they try it out and find out how great a resource it is!).

We require authentication in the app so that your pool data can be sync'd and saved to the cloud. We decided the workflow was too messy and would create a poor user experience if we wanted to allow local device storage only until a user logged in after that.

Hope that clears up the decision to use social auth!

Again thanks for all the feedback and keep it coming!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quote Originally Posted by brauh01 View Post
Re time and date wrong, has an issue arise the morning; tried to take a screen shot but was unsuccessful. So, tested this morning, added results to phone after first recording in my own Excel spreadsheet. Changed minutes in the app to when test was performed, say 15 minutes earlier. Remember, app defaults to current date and time when launched. When reviewing the posted data, AM somehow changed to PM. Noticed similar issue yesterday when I first d/l the app. I'm using an iPhone 6 on Verizon with iOS 10.3.1. Will continue to post errors as they occur since you're having difficulty replicating the error.
HTH, Bill
*******************************************************************************************************************************
jagger2005 asked:
I tried to duplicate the scenario and my time come back correct. Are you positive you did not accidentally swipe the am/pm when changing the minutes? Done that many many times on reminders and alarms
*************************************************************************************************************************************
brauh01 responds -->Yes. I made sure before posting. FWIW, when I now look at the summary of tests "page", PM is reported. When I click through to the data entry page, as though I were updating the data, AM is reported. Quirky, to say the least. <wave>

Last edited:
We think we've been able to recreate the time/date issue in our personal Apps. Why it's doing it however, who knows. Jon is sorting the setup again to see what's up with the refreshing and will adjust from there.

Additionally he's made some major progress that I'm testing out now before launching an update to all users. Jon has been able to fix the majority of the submitted bugs and added a slight bit of "bling."

But most of all...........let's talk CSI :)
IMG_9109.jpg

1. Doesn't default to pool upon open.
2. CSI reporting different when no salt levels are recorded.
3. CSI showing error unless ALL tests results are entered.
4. Time/Date wrong at times
----------if you have this, please write us via email. We cannot recreate for nothing!
5. No exit path for Android
6. User wish to report FC/CC as .5 rather than 0.5
7. Various Features

1. This should be addressed in the next update.
2. This error still exists until I can update PoolMath on the website later this weekend
3. This should be fixed on next update
4. This error still exists. We've been able to now recreate but but can't tell why it's doing it. We didn't want to hold up the update while we searched for this.
5. This should be fixed in next update. At least the best he could. He mentioned some changes however I wasn't able to fully follow as I'm unsure just how Android works to exit Apps. Regardless, it's improved.
6. This should be fixed in next update

Both Android and iOS users should now have an update aviable. This update addresses many items discovered after the initial launch of testing. To update on Amdroid you'll simply update your App as always. In iOS you'll need to open the TestFlight App and update from there. Let us know if these changes were positive!

As always, if ya find any issues please email at [email protected]

It would appear there is no push for the update on android or an option in the app to check for am update. Looks like I have to manually go into the play store to check if any update is available.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.