Pool losing 1/4 daily.

Okinawa

Dec 19, 2022
florida
Hello
I just bought a house with a pool and have noticed it leaking. My pump currently runs from 9AM until 4PM. In the morning, prior to the pump turning on, there is no drop in water level in the pool; but, the spa is always lower by 4-5 inches every day. When the pump turns on, I wait 30 minutes and check, and the level drops 1/4 inch. The rest of the day there is no water drop. The bucket test fails. I've had a pool leak guy working on it for a few weeks and it still leaks. I can't figure this one out.

My thoughts are: the pool itself is not leaking. It has to be the spa. But, the pool guy replaced the jet heads and pressure checked and said he cant find a leak. I don't think it's plumbing because the pool would leak all day long with the pump running.

To summarize:
1) Overnight no water loss in pool. Spa is lower by 4-5 inches.
2) 30 minutes after pump turns on, pool level down 1/4 inch.
3) pool loses no additional water (that I can measure) all day when the pump runs.
weird!

Please help.
Thank You
Okinawa

Last edited:
O,

I am not sure you have a leak at all,

It sounds to me like your Spa is just draining back into the pool when the pump is off.

Show me several pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The question is, does your pool rise by the same 1/4" overnight? If the spa water is leaking past check valves to pool, that same exchange should go both ways. I had been watching this same thing go on over several months, and it always was the same, when the pump came on in the morning, the drop was noticeable in pool, but, in the morning, before the pump came on, the pool level was same as left night before. It's pretty much narrowed down to spa light. I'm still giving the PB a chance to come out before I take the job on myself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.