Pool liner pushing legs out of plumb

mksutton03

Jun 12, 2021
Burlington, NJ
Hi, We just bought a Coleman power steel deluxe series, 18x48 model. We researched how to choose and prep the area in advance…mostly following advice found in this forum and watched a ton of videos to make sure we did it correctly. We’re both meticulous and fairly handy people. We leveled the area by digging out the dirt and the pool is sitting on 1” pink insulation board. The legs are on 7x10.5x3.5 paver blocks that we dug down to level with the foam and they were leveled to each other. The pool is quite level, only off by less than 1/4”. The legs were all level/plumb front to back and side to side at the start and continued to adjust throughout the fill.

Now that it’s been up for a week, it seems the liner has pushed the legs out of plumb. Some legs are at the outside edge of the pavers, or overhanging. Others have only moved a bit. And the problem isn’t confined to one side of the pool. It’s off around the pool at varying degrees.

Currently, we’re draining the pool down to where we can safely lift the legs and bring the pavers out a bit. However, the legs will continue to be out of plumb if the liner pushes them out once the pool is filled again.

Is it normal for this to happen or is it an indication something is off? Is there a way to prevent this? Thoughts?

Thanks in Advance

Yes, the pressure of the water will push the legs out some. When I installed my Intex I took a lap around the outside of the pool at regular intervals as it was filling, to tweak the legs while I could.

So your legs are out of plumb? Ours are noticeably off, some by 2.” This is normal?
No, my legs were straight (I no longer have the Intex) because I straightened them as it was filling.

Can you share a photo so we can see the situation?

No, my legs were straight (I no longer have the Intex) because I straightened them as it was filling.

Can you share a photo so we can see the situation?
To reiterate, when we first filled the pool we leveled the legs at the start and throughout the entire fill. This was possible until the last foot or so of water. Then, one or two legs would not plumb anymore… the weight of the water bulged the sides of the liner into the legs pushing them off plumb/level. There was no way to push them back into place. After a few uses this week, most legs followed this path… and some leg feet were hanging off the pavers.
Yesterday, we drained the pool enough to where we could lift the legs and move the pavers out so the feet wouldn’t be pushed off. The legs remain off plumb most the way around pool… all at varying degrees.
Photos attached.

Attachments

• 0682F75C-7364-4B13-AADE-E7898A7B4E14.jpeg
    0682F75C-7364-4B13-AADE-E7898A7B4E14.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 58
  • E45C76AE-E4CB-4F3A-8D9B-B608E456AD99.jpeg
    E45C76AE-E4CB-4F3A-8D9B-B608E456AD99.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 8B51039F-FDFA-4E3A-BDE0-3C7BAF81EDBA.jpeg
    8B51039F-FDFA-4E3A-BDE0-3C7BAF81EDBA.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 55
You aren’t the first person we’ve seen with the Coleman pool that has this issue, or the opposite even. If the legs are solidly on the pavers now and the pool is level, I would just keep an eye on it. The legs are behaving sort of like the buttresses you see on the rectangular pools. I’d be more worried if the legs were leaning out.

Reactions: Pv2
You aren’t the first person we’ve seen with the Coleman pool that has this issue, or the opposite even. If the legs are solidly on the pavers now and the pool is level, I would just keep an eye on it. The legs are behaving sort of like the buttresses you see on the rectangular pools. I’d be more worried if the legs were leaning out.
You mean you’d be worried if the bottom of the legs were leaning in? Thanks for your input.

or if some were leaning out and others on opposite side leaning in. if all are basically leaning the same way, and not moving much when rowdy kids are splashing around (there will be some flexing, more at the top of pool) then you are fine. if they are still moving around a lot on the pavers you may have some other problem.

If the pool is level within 2 inches, I think you are fine. When I put my pool up, I meticulously leveled each leg as it filled. Now they have shifted a bit over the last year and definitely not exactly straight anymore. These pools shift with water and people in it. You want to worry when you are off level over 2 inches or there is some bending going on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.