Jenkintown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My pool light is tripping the GFI, which is a real bummer because I just replaced the gasket last year. I am guessing I didn't install it quite right. I remember after I got it all sealed up that the tension on the wire holding the gasket did not seem evenly distributed around the fixture. I haven't pulled it out of the pool yet but I am just guessing the water's getting in where there wasn't that much tension pulling against the gasket.

Anyways, I'll pull it up soon and will try again. Any tricks to getting the wire to seal properly?

I'm also wondering if I should convert to a 12V LED light as I am assuming the 12V doesn't pose the same electrocution hazard as 120V. The GFI has tripped when mine's shorted out but it makes me nervous. Am I right to think 12V is safer?

Is converting just a matter of installing a transformer in the J-Box and putting an LED bulb in the fixture? Guess I've got to get the gasket to seal regardless. Or maybe replace and rewire the whole thing?

Here's a pic of my fixture from last year when it shorted out for the first time. Pic is from before I replaced the gaket and may have bent the thing out of shape.

Attachments

• PoolLight.jpeg
    PoolLight.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 12
GFCIs are very reliable so 120V with GFCI is just about as safe as 12V.

Find the LED bulb you want to use and it will tell you the required wiring.

If you are having trouble getting the fixture sealed you will need to pull a new fixture whether 120v or 12v LED.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.