Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Good day all,

The breaker for the pool lights (intelibrite) is tripping regularly - maybe once every or every other time I turn them on. I noticed something odd today when I changed the color from the ScreenLogic app ... it sounded/looked like the easytouch turned the circuit on and off ten times whenever I changed the color. I don't know if it has always done this, this is the first time I've changed the color while looking at the panel.

My question ... is there something I should test (I'm not electrically inclined) to try to identify what is causing the breaker to trip? Also, is the rapid on/off an indicator or something to be concerned with? I've read some of the other posts about replacing the GFCI.

For what it's worth, the (new) pool has been "operational" for a couple of months, but the final inspections have not been performed by the city.

Photo attached. The video was too big, so here is a link: lights on/off

Attachments

• 20220213_135915.jpg
    20220213_135915.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 20
LIght colors are changed by cycling power to them. So the relay on/off is what is done to change the color.

It sounds like this is a new pool. Get the PB or electrician that did this install to fix the CB trip. There is a short somewhere.

LIght colors are changed by cycling power to them. So the relay on/off is what is done to change the color.

It sounds like this is a new pool. Get the PB or electrician that did this install to fix the CB trip. There is a short somewhere.
Thanks! The rapid on/off cycle seemed odd, but good to know this is normal. I'll add the tripping circuit breaker to the final punch list.

Most likely it’s the type of breaker. The one you showed is combo Arc Fault/ GFIC. I think it should only be a GFIC per NEC.
B,

I suspect that you are correct..

Since the lights change color by cycling a relay on and off, I would assume there would be some arcing at the relay contacts.. I have not heard of the "No arc fault" rule, but it makes sense to me that you would not want to use an arc fault breaker in a pool light circuit.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Most likely it’s the type of breaker. The one you showed is combo Arc Fault/ GFIC. I think it should only be a GFIC per NEC.
The only communication I got from the PB was that he'd have his electrician look at it. A few days later, i see the electrician came out and swapped the breaker for a different kind. No problems since then. I think you nailed it.

Attachments

• 20220510_173435.jpg
    20220510_173435.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 5
If you have ever opened a failed relay from an automation system you will see that there is always some arcing going on. The contacts are usually fried black with carbon. A system that rapidly cycles the relay to change the light colors just makes it worse. That was a great catch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.