Pool leaking water again, and lost my pool guy!!

Poolmor

Feb 28, 2016
Scotch plains, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hey, I have a long story about a pool renovation and patio replacement. But the bottom line is that last year we had to find a leak (one of the return lines), hire a leak detection company to find the actual spot under a travertine patio then have masons dig that out so the repair could be performed. The leak was due to an anchor from the pool cover. This year we have realized there may be ANOTHER link, and my pool guy is MIA (he placed the anchors). So its the end of October for me in central NJ, and I can't close my pool because the leak happens even when there is no pumping of the water. I need a great pool person/company recommendation in the worst way.

Well that stinks. :( So I'm guessing you haven't closed yet? If/when you do, you should be able to wait until spring right? I'm mean once you blow-out the lines the leak should stop. Just in case you don't have time for a repair tech befoul the weather gets ugly?

I can't close my pool because the leak happens even when there is no pumping of the water.
If that's true, then your leak may be on the suction side. But again, with lines purged, it should stop. Main drain perhaps?

Reactions: markayash
I don't have the tech skills to close the pool; we have had it for three seasons only (and 2018 we renovated it as new pool owners and it was usable from late September only!) So I dont know how to blow out the lines. We have an air compressor, can my husband use that somehow? We've never even plugged the returns or skimmers. Average daily temperature right now 65-70, and nights to 40s and 50s. So it would be ok to stop filtering daily right?

Many owners close their own pool, but for those who are skeptical in their early years, let a company do it once or twice so they can watch and compare notes. We have lots of great threads on the subject here, but sometimes seeing (once) helps. The concern right now is a potential leak. You don't want to close with an active leak if that leak is at the lower portion of the pool. That is something you'll need to watch, or simply hire someone to check and repair for you before the water gets crazy cold. Diving rates probably get higher as the temp gets lower. :snorkle:

Can we plug the returns and skimmers without blowing out the lines? That would help us to see if the water level drops anyway, because only the main drain would be open, right?

Can we plug the returns and skimmers without blowing out the lines?
Before closing - sure. You can do all sorts of water tests to check for a leak. Please see the link below which has been recently updated. Hopefully this will help you a bit.

Thanks, we will start doing this today. But we do still need a new person to close the pool, even if we defer finding the leak to next spring. Where on TFP should I post to find a good service company? We do not want the pool renovation company we used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's nothing wrong with creating a new thread in the "Everything Else" forum asking for leak detection assistance in your area. Maybe someone will see it and have an idea. Make sure your thread title is clear, for example, "Looking for Leak Detection Services in NJ" or something to that effect. Just remember, if the leak is near the bottom, you don't want to avoid it and let the pool go empty over the winter. For now, you can let the water drop and see if it stops at the return jets or light. But if it goes lower, that could be a problem. Good luck!

I actually already know a leak detection company, I like then and they found where the return had been hit by the anchor. I really just need someone to close everything up!! I'll post in everything else. Thanks very much! Plugs are in and we even are doing the bucket test to quantify loss.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.