Pool Leak...where to start

kansas_city19

Apr 8, 2020
Kansas City
Pool doesn't seem to leak until we run the pumps (bucket tested). When the pumps are running it leaks pretty quickly (1/2 inch per hour).

Interesting thing about the leak, that I would like to get feedback on, is that it leaks but then it slows down. The skimmer is still pulling in water, there is still enough to pull, but it isn't filling up the pump all the way....it is just pulling the water that it can... It continues like this for a while (I left it on over 18 hours and it continued to do this).. the skimmer fills up a little bit, then it goes back to pulling.

I just wanted to post this to get thoughts on location of the leak...

Combo skimmer...

Need more info... Type of pool? Pictures of equipment pad and skimmer would be helpful, too.

Is the yard or equipment pad wet or does everything seem dry?

You said the pump isn't filling up all the way. Do you mean you see air bubbles through the lid on the strainer basket? You also said it "goes back to pulling." Do you mean the pump is losing prime (sucking air), then recovers for a while, then loses prime again?

When the pump is pulling, do you see air bubbles coming out of the returns?

Regarding the leak slowing down, here's one possibility... If the water is going into your yard, the water loss can slow or stop as the yard gets saturated and the water has no place to go (pressure inside and outside of the pool equalizes). As the yard drains or dries out, the pool is able to lose more water.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
Ok, I have an update.

I have pressure tested the dedicated side return, it passed. I tested the skimmer line, it passed.

The leak is in the floor returns, my question is.....can I run the return just through the side dedicated return for the rest of the summer and bypass the floor returns?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.