Diagnosing Skimmer leak. What should happen?

aannuujj

Dec 19, 2023
Dallas, TX
Hi
I'm a new pool owner and am trying to diagnose a leak. I have three separate valves - Main Drain, Skimmer 1, Skimmer 2. While trying to isolate the leak, I started the filter pump and then turned off Skimmer valve 1. I was hoping that it would shut down the flow of water from there and we would have no water flow from that skimmer. However, when going to the skimmer I noticed that the water drainage actually increased. Not sure what is going on.

Here is a link to the problem -

Not sure if this is what is expected or is their a problem here

You have two pipes labeled skimmer.

How do you know the one you turned OFF is connected to the skimmer you looked at?

Hi
I'm a new pool owner and am trying to diagnose a leak. I have three separate valves - Main Drain, Skimmer 1, Skimmer 2. While trying to isolate the leak, I started the filter pump and then turned off Skimmer valve 1. I was hoping that it would shut down the flow of water from there and we would have no water flow from that skimmer. However, when going to the skimmer I noticed that the water drainage actually increased. Not sure what is going on.

Hi

Open the closed skimmer valve and close the second one. Your water level in the pool is very low to have flow like that in the skimmer. The weir should be floating and the level much higher in the skimmer.

You plug the skimmer lines individually (pump off) to isolate suction plumbing leaks. If the pipe from the skimmer to the equipment was damaged, it would suck air with the pump on (not leak) and when the pump was off it might not leak enough to ever notice.

Bring us up to speed on your thought process. :) What have you done to suspect the plumbing as a possible cause ? Or was it your first step in the process ?

Maybe I'm not understanding the role of the skimmer anatomy. Is it not fair to assume that if I turn the valve off it should just stabilize the water level in that particular skimmer and not make it drain like it is doing? Not sure where all that water is going if the valve is shut-off and that too at such high speed. Making me wonder if that is because of a leak.

I know that putting a plug at the skimmer and then noticing the water level drop is another way to get closer to the leak.

Why do you think you have a leak?

What happens if you turn off the other skimmer valve to this skimmer?
I am losing about an inch of water each day and have to water every other day. Their are two skimmers and each have a valve. When I turn of single valve, one skimmer acts normally and other acts like this depending on which skimmer is which. When I turn both of them, then same thing happens. One skimmer starts draining like this and other one stops

Open the closed skimmer valve and close the second one. Your water level in the pool is very low to have flow like that in the skimmer. The weir should be floating and the level much higher in the skimmer.
When I do that then the other one starts draining like that. I agree water level is low but I'm trying to diagnose the problem so letting it go down.

I am losing about an inch of water each day and have to water every other day.
An inch may or may not be a leak. To establish if it is a leak conduct a Bucket Test first.
Their are two skimmers and each have a valve. When I turn of single valve, one skimmer acts normally and other acts like this depending on which skimmer is which. When I turn both of them, then same thing happens. One skimmer starts draining like this and other one stops
I think based on the video and the comments the skimmers and valves are acting correctly.

Why are you trying to isolate the skimmer?

Reactions: Bperry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it not fair to assume that if I turn the valve off it should just stabilize the water level in that particular skimmer and not make it drain like it is doing?
You are correct that the valve should stop the flow.
Not sure where all that water is going if the valve is shut-off and that too at such high speed. Making me wonder if that is because of a leak
That high of a flow is only going to the pump. If the skimmer pipe was shattered completely it would ooze out having to saturate the ground around the break. You have firehose flow. Lol.
I do not. I am just assuming that I turn one off and the water in it drops dramatically so assuming that's the one. Is there a better way?
That's about all you can do unless you built the pool and know how it's plumbed. Turn each valve off one at a time and see which suction leg stops. You may or may not be able to turn off the individual skimmers, regardless of what the stickers say.
I agree water level is low but I'm trying to diagnose the problem so letting it go down
This is where I'd start. Turn the pool off and see if it drains past the skimmers.

Is the pool heated ? Is the pool covered ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.