Pool just opened, preparing to SLAM tomorrow need some guidance

Jul 14, 2015
Colts Neck, NJ
Hello all,
The pool was just opened today and it looked remarkably good, picture below. I ran the tests and the results are as follows:

FC: 0
CC: not tested, figured I was going to begin SLAM tomorrow
PH: 7.0 it could be lower but 7.0 was the lowest panel on the tube
TA: 60 - 70, 60 began the turn color and 70 solidified the color change
CH: not tested
CYA: less than 30, tube full and dot was still 95% visible
Salt: 2.1 on the machine and 2000 with the Taylor kit
Temp: 64

I cleared 90% of the organic material out and will circle back tonight to get the rest. I am draining a bit of water now to get the water level to proper skimmer levels. SWCG is set to 00% until I get the other levels straight and then I will run it at 50% like I did last year.

My question is, should I start adding the chlorine or worry about the CYA and PH first?

Thank you!!

Get and maintain at least 3ppm FC for now.
Aerate to raise your pH. Or, you can use about 2 lbs of borax and see if that brings the pH up to readable.

Add 20 ppm CYA via the sock method. Raise your FC to 12 ppm once that is going in.
SLAM -- but looks like it might go quick.

OK, thunderstorms here, nothing like being wet AND cold. Got the CYA mostly in, aerated for a few hours. No change to the PH, I just added 2 lbs of Borax. My FC is .5 after adding 2 gallons of 12.5. I had one case (4 bottles left from last year) I used 2 of those so far and have 2 left. I think it may be slightly degraded. I did buy new bleach for the SLAM, but will continue to maintain with the last 2 bottles until the PH is raised.

I got mostly all of the remaining organic material out. The pool is looking very good so far, even much better than yesterday.

I finally got the PH needle to move. I added a total of 6lbs of Borax and I am at 7.2. Starting SLAM now with 4 gallons of bleach. Here is a picture of what it looks like today, coming along nicely considering there is no chlorine in there.

Marty,
Yes, I added enough CYA to get me to 20 via the stocking method. I actually just got finished massaging the last 2 stockings which are nearly empty now. Here are this evening's readings as of 8:15pm.

FC: 11.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.4, I also ran the hose from the filter to aerate for 2 more hours, so I think my PH should be right on target now

I will test the CYA tomorrow morning along with the FC and CC levels.

I couldn't get to test early this morning so the first test at 8:45 was with sun on the pool for 2.5 hours already. Here are the numbers:

FC: 8
CC: 0

Since there are no CCs, does it make sense the FC would drop 3 in 3 hours of sunlight. Meaning this is not an overnight loss of chlorine?

You would not lose 3 ppm that quickly this AM.

Keep the FC at SLAM level today and do another OCLT tonight.

You can add salt if you like. Wait 24 hours after adding before you test for it. Brush really well after adding. Leave the SWCG off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I thought I was in the clear. The pool looks perfect. My pump motor seized overnight. I pulled the cover off the shaft on the back and tried to rotate it but it was stuck. I will order a new motor and go kit. Any ideas what do in the next few days while it ships?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.