Pool is two weeks old and I’m brand new.

3asyB

Silver Supporter
Jan 7, 2019
CSTX
Bottle dumper
Pebble plaster
20000 gal
Spa spillover

FC - 1.5
CC - .5
PH - 7.8
TA - 150
CYA - 40
CH - 225

I just added 2 quarts of 12.5 for a target of 3.0

I plan to add 1 quart 1 cup and 2 oz. (no way I’m that accurate) of muriatic in a couple of hours

All of this sound ok?

Do I need to address CH?

TIA

Attachments

• CD1A99CA-69E3-4C16-83F7-2C5AAEC343F9.jpeg
    CD1A99CA-69E3-4C16-83F7-2C5AAEC343F9.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 33
Your target FC when you add your chlorine should be 5-7 ppm. That way you will not go below 3 ppm before you add the next day.

I would not lower your pH below 7.6. Your TA will lower over time. Your CH will rise due to evaporation and addition of fill water. So no need to do anything with CH.

Dumb question. How to you determine measurements of what your adding?

Im using gallon jugs,

Add 1 quart, 2 cups, and 6oz.? How in the world do I measure this? Just eyeball it?

Pouring it into it's measuring cup that has oz printed on the side is about as accurate as it gets.

KK I completely agree.

I just don’t see myself taking that much time. I guess I’m looking for some tricks of the trade from other jug dumpers.

I would imagine people are just getting a good feel for how much to pour and going straight from the bottle to the pool.

Any other methods?

What I do for chlorine is prepare a jug in advance with marks every 1ppm up to the full volume of the jug. I did this with water so i can do it by weight (in metric it's easy, I think there are scales that convert weight to volume for imperial, anyway the math has to be done once). LC quantity only changes with pool volume and chlorine strength, but the quantity needed to increase FC by 1ppm is always the same.

My pool being fairly small, I can transfer my chlorine in a jerrycan with a faucet so dispensing the correct quantity is easy, and I only have to fill the jerrycan twice per season.

For acid, it is a little bit more complicated as the quantity changes with the current TA and pH levels (and borates if you use them). But for a fixed target, and assuming the TA stays about constant, you can mark a jug with the quantity needed for each measured pH value, it can be done once with PoolMath, simulating the measured value. After that you just fill to the mark and pour.

I hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You really don't want to handle acid more then necessary.

Once you spend some time using measuring cups you can get a feel of how big of a pour is a specific amount. If you are confident you can then try a pour directly into the pool and see how well you did. Just go for the mid-range of your targets if you try that so if you pour too much you don't cause a problem. Better to be short, test, and add some more.

It is easier doing direct pours into a larger pool.

Interesting post. I would have figured more TFP’ers just squinted one eye, and called it close enough for our a jug dumper.
You will figure out overtime exactly what half a gallon vs the whole gallon will add. I add a gallon of 6.0 a day and call it good bc I know it will raise my cl 4-4.5. In the summer, I lose about 4.0 a day.Im not concerned about +/- .5-1.5 addition cl. Just make sure your cl doesn't fall below the minimum

I read a post where someone had marks on a stick that they transferred to the side of a new gallon of acid and/or bleach with a sharpie - then they marked the new bottle (I think it was in 16oz increments or so). It gives you a better shot of getting close.

Everyone do it this way?

I’ve been just”eyeballing” it

I’d love else something more accurate.
A plastic measuring cup works good for small quantities. Plastic is the operative word.
EC0R.jpg

I've always just eyeballed bleach. If you want to be more accurate, buy a pitcher and mark it
shopping

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.