Pool is open! First Test results and SLAM advice, please!

Ribbod

May 30, 2018
Marietta/ga
I should have all my information in my pool logs, but wanted to verify I'm on the right track to start SLAM!

Test results after 30 minutes of pump running:

FC - 3
PH- 7.0 (could be a little lower)
TA - 40
CYA - 0-20? Dot could still be seen at 30 (i did close pool with CYA in it last September )
Salt- didnt test
Temp- 55

I am treating pool as a NSWG pool, until temps get higher and SLAM is completed
I added 31 oz. of dry stabilizer (based on 20 CYA to get me to 30) and will test again tomorrow afternoon
Added Bleach to get me to SLAM level of 10 based on CYA of 20, but will adjust after I test CYA tomorrow

Should I SLAM at SWG levels or SLAM at regular levels and keep CYA lower? Im thinking since water is so cold, its better to SLAM at NSWG numbers.

Thank you!
Becky

You're doing things just fine. You didn't interpret the CYA as none and overshoot. :goodjob:
You're chlorinating with bleach, so use that chart. It should be the same anyway at 30 CYA.

When you say "that chart" you are referring to the Chlorine/CYA chart, correct? Just making sure I wasn't missing anything and I'm adding chemicals based on pool math recommendations.

PH- 7.0 (could be a little lower)
You definitely do NOT want your PH lower. You'll actually want to get that up a bit. I have a Pentair IC60 and it will generate chlorine above 52 degrees. Not sure about your specific model, but some models will produce less chlorine below 60 degrees. If it were me, I'd probably wait until it gets to 60 before turning it on. I'm not sure it matters, but you can add the salt after the slam.

Reactions: Ribbod
At what point, should I add salt and turn on SWG? I will wait until after SLAM, but does water temperature matter?
I am pretty sure there is some lower temperature limit below which a SWG won't function. Not having one, I don't know what that is.

But get the pool clear and balanced and swimmable before adding salt. Otherwise in the event you need to replace water or backwash a lot, you'll lose some salt you just added.

You definitely do NOT want your PH lower. You'll actually want to get that up a bit. I have a Pentair IC60 and it will generate chlorine above 52 degrees. Not sure about your specific model, but some models will produce less chlorine below 60 degrees. If it were me, I'd probably wait until it gets to 60 before turning it on. I'm not sure it matters, but you can add the salt after the slam.

Yeah, since TA is lower, I was going to add some baking soda, hoping that will also raise PH up, a little, as well.. but also read you dont want to adjust PH during a SLAM and i started it today... Thoughts?

I meant that the PH could be lower than 7.0, based on the color of the test , not that I want it lower, if that makes sense

Reactions: DiverGirl1972
You can add 20-30 ppm TA worth of baking soda. It will not raise your pH that much. Your TA of 40 is kind of low.
Your SWCG will reduce its output to 20% of setting at 60F and turn off completely at 50F.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.