Pool is cloudy after a tremendous amount of shock

Wyard23

Jun 9, 2019
NY
I’ve been reading thru some of the threads, so I will confess up front that I have been taking advice from the pool store, which I vow to not do again ?. That said, I have a 21’ round pool that holds about 10k gallons. Before opening the pool this year I replaced the sand in the 100lb sand filter. I have shocked it several times, the most recent of which was last night at 7:00pm and the water remains cloudy. The test strips I am using are showing the following

Alkalinity - 80
pH - 6.4-6.8
Free Chlorine - Off the charts (not surprisingly)

The pool smells of chlorine but the milkiness will not subside. Looking for a recommendation on a new test kit, but also what to do until I get it to start clearing thing up. I have already considered a wrecking ball! 105667105668

Let’s start with a quick WELCOME TO TFP!!! Next let’s try a simple question, can you tell us what the ingredients were in the bags of shock?? Also let’s introduce you to “Slamming the pool” with a quick video,

The chlorine smell and the cloudiness are from combined chlorine. Get some liquid chlorine.

For reference I had this a couple weeks ago 30k gallon pool. I was out of town so I did a one time slam. I added 12 gallons of chlorine and left the pool running for a couple days.

Are you sure the free chlorine you’re reading on the strips isn’t total chlorine? Liquid chlorine will help eat up the combined chlorine and make the pool crystal clear.

Hi and welcome! Lee shared the best way to clear the pool-SLAM! We will get into the details on how to do it.

Adding 12 gallons of chlorine at one time to a pool is not the approved way to clear a pool. You risk causing damage to your pool surface.

Do do a proper SLAM and to maintain your pool you will need a GOOD test kit. We call the strips "guess" strips as they are just that.....a guess of what your levels are.

Here is a link about the different test kits: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool I will tell you the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use most often. I have a link for it in my siggy below.

Here is the full on write up on the SLAM: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool Notice how it talks about FC/CYA levels and such. That chart can be found here: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

Now for the best link and helper for pool care.............Pool Math!!! PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool This will do all of the math for you!!!

I hope this helps. Until you get your good test kit you can add a jug of chlorine each day. Make sure to brush the pool each day and keep the pump/filter running 24/7 as that is what is going to be oh so helpful to clear the water of the dead algae.

KIm:kim:

Hi and welcome! Lee shared the best way to clear the pool-SLAM! We will get into the details on how to do it.

Adding 12 gallons of chlorine at one time to a pool is not the approved way to clear a pool. You risk causing damage to your pool surface.

Do do a proper SLAM and to maintain your pool you will need a GOOD test kit. We call the strips "guess" strips as they are just that.....a guess of what your levels are.

Here is a link about the different test kits: Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool I will tell you the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use most often. I have a link for it in my siggy below.

Here is the full on write up on the SLAM: SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool Notice how it talks about FC/CYA levels and such. That chart can be found here: Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

Now for the best link and helper for pool care.............Pool Math!!! PoolMath - Trouble Free Pool This will do all of the math for you!!!

I hope this helps. Until you get your good test kit you can add a jug of chlorine each day. Make sure to brush the pool each day and keep the pump/filter running 24/7 as that is what is going to be oh so helpful to clear the water of the dead algae.

KIm:kim:

Thank you! I added 7.5 gallons of liquid shock last night per the recommendation of the rep at the pool store. I will give it a good brush today and order the test kit immediately. Thank you!

If your pH is as low as you’re saying and now your FC is as high as you’re suggesting your liner is taking a beating. If I may toss out an idea, is a water replacement an option for you?

How did the guy at the pool store decide that 7.5 gallons was the cure??!? :unsure: ?‍♂️

I can't imagine we've *ever* told anyone to put 960 ounces of liquid chlorine in their pool at one time?!?!? Even if the pool was large! I hope your liner looks recognizable tomorrow......?

I'm just stunned, honestly I am. That isn't a SLAM....that's a nuclear bomb!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: jmikeb
If your pH is as low as you’re saying and now your FC is as high as you’re suggesting your liner is taking a beating. If I may toss out an idea, is a water replacement an option for you?
I could essentially replace by draining to the skimmer level and replacing it over the course of a few days. My yard my not love that though. Hahah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How did the guy at the pool store decide that 7.5 gallons was the cure??!? :unsure: ?‍♂️

I can't imagine we've *ever* told anyone to put 960 ounces of liquid chlorine in their pool at one time?!?!? Even if the pool was large! I hope your liner looks recognizable tomorrow......?

I honestly have no idea. He tested the water and I gave him the pool size. Voila

The liner looks ok, but when I was brushing a bit ago it feels extremely coarse. I’m sure that’s not a great sign. I am draining the pool as we speak

Ok folks. I have replaced what I am guessing is about 1/3 -1/2 of my pool water. I can now see the bottom and there is very little in the way of debris and algae. It is still cloudy but there is essentially no chlorine in the pool now, so I am guessing I have a fresh start. I am clearly not very smart ? so please tell me the next step. Thanks for all of your help so far!

Have you ordered your own proper test kit yet?
I would suggest you add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine to the pool each evening until you receive your test kit. Then run the tests and post up the results.

It is 53 oz. of 12.5%. How do I know? Pool Math! You will need to learn to use Pool Math to properly dose your pool. But more importantly to take ownership of your pool. The Pool Math app is great for this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.