Pool help please!

Ok i went to the calculator where i am supposed to enter info to find out how much chemical i need. I'm an educated woman but it makes zero sense to me what to do. I have no ide how im going to get these chemicals right

No problem, we'll figure it out.

If you change the pool info on the bottom, to troublefreepool, plaster, non-swg, that will give you suggested ranges for each row

The top field needs to have your pool gallons

Each row has a Now/__ and Goal/__, the now is whatever test result you got, the Goal is whatever level is within suggested range
If your now is within range, put the same number in goal, no changes needed
If it's not, put the desired number in goal and then the instructions will tell you how much chemical to add or water to remove

Bleach/liquid chlorine has different strengths

Ok we put liquid pool shock in it last night around 730 and tested it a few minutes ago at 9am and FC turned hot pink. CYA black dot in test tube is barely visible at 30ppm mark. All other tests were the same. I'm sure this doesnt mean much since it hasnt circulated 24 hrs or had sunlight yet right? We used 12.5 percent and havent used anything else. Pool obviously still gray and cannot see a thing. Would be so much easier if we could

OK - next time you test FC use a 10 ml water sample. Then divide the number of drops to clear by 2 for your FC.

Everything is good to start a SLAM Process. Take your FC up to 12 ppm and test / dose every couple hours until your FC starts to hold. Then you can lengthen the time between testing.

If you really have a concrete bottom of the pool exposed to the water you should raise your calcium hardness to 300 ppm.

Take care.

Note that, during the slam, you don’t need to test anything other than FC and CC.

After the slam, you only need to test FC, CC, and pH daily unless you’re adjusting one of the other levels. I test CH, TA, and CYA monthly, unless I’m trying to adjust them. They don’t move much, without intervention.

Ok guys here is my delimma. The free chlorine is back to 0 after 12 hrs. How can i adjust this throughout the night without waking up every hour to check it. Im just starting over in the morning! I put some stabilizer in last night to get the CyA up from 10 or 20 because if i understand right ill never get the chlorine to hold until i do get it up in level. Any suggestion about the overnight issue...just feel like im back to square one every morning.

Cya is at 40ppm after adding stabilizer last night and PH is 7.3

For now, simply increase the FC back to 12 as your SLAM level. Remember, with pool water that dark, there are a LOT of organics in that water ready to eat the chlorine. When you sleep, it goes down, but this is a new day. So increase it and "maintain" as best as you can throughout the day. The first day or two will show the most FC drops and changes. Then it should get more steady.

Also, since you dosed with more stabilizer, perhaps later today when the sun comes out, try one more CYA test using those notes I gave you earlier in this thread (page 1) to help you - just to make sure the CYA is only at about 30 and didn't go higher by chance. Hang in there and "maintain". Read the SLAM Process page once each day as well as a reminder of other things to do. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A question not related to chemicals. Not sure if i should post on this thread or start a new one but here goes.

I have 2 skimmers. The skimmer furthest away i cant feel any suction at all. 2nd skimmer i feel suction but not very much. Keeping baskets clear

I have 2 skimmers. The skimmer furthest away i cant feel any suction at all. 2nd skimmer i feel suction but not very much. Keeping baskets clear
Hard to tell on that one. Process of elimination. The farthest skimmer might be plumbed to the closer one (2 holes in bottom), or each skimmer might have its own line all the way to the pad. Can you tell? Are there diverter valves (disc) at the bottom of the skimmers that allow you to adjust flow? Any suction line valves before the pump should be completely open. Do you have a main drain? Maybe shut that off to feel a comparison? Also, make sure your filter isn't getting clogged. Has the pressure gauge increased yet by about 25%. It can do that rather quickly. Maybe try a backwash, make note of the clean (baseline) PSI, and see if that helps.

When i feel inside the skimmer as facing toward the pool i can feel straight down in the middle is some sort of round small knob. On the side almost to bottom of skimmer is where i can feel some suction. Only way to describe it since i cant see through the water

0528181715b.jpg

This is my pool after starting the slam process today. Just tested FC and its 8.6 so added another gallon according to the chart. It was 8.0 four and a half hours ago

Once again this is not gritty or slimy...just a nasty foam. Pool filter pressure is at 22 and steady but the water isnt circulating or the foam isn't anyway

A couple things to look for:
- FC testing.. do as follows: "10ML water sample with one generous scoop of powder & mix. Count drops to clear and divide in half. (i.e. 20 drops = FC of 10)"
- Good water circulation is a must. If you've ruled out any blockages from the skimmers to the pump, that means you should see water moving under the clear lid of the pump basket … unless …. there filter is clogged or overwhelmed. Make sure to backwash and compare between the clean/baseline and dirty pressure gauge settings. When an occasion comes to shut the system down for some reason, check the gauge to see if it drops to zero to ensure it's functioning properly. I'll go back and review this thread again for any items that may be potential problem areas.

Okay, a couple things that caught my eye on further review:
- Earlier today you said your CYA was 40, so instead of a SLAM FC of 12, it should be "16". Please bump-up your FC ot 16 and try to maintain as best as you can during your waking hours. No need to sleepwalk to the pool. :gone:

- This note from a few days ago:
Our Hayward S240 filter seems to maintain pressure at about 18psi. Before we changed the multi valve and sand it was around 7psi.
We'll watch that. It is possible you had a low psi before because the filter wasn't working properly. The sand may have been compacted and "channeled" allowing water to just slip through passages versus going across all the sand (less resistance). But as long as there are no other odd indications like sand going back to the pool, your work should be good. Make sure to backwash when that gauge increases by 25%.

- You can almost never brush a slimy pool enough. It's fighting back. Much of that foam and oil slick looking stuff is the residual junk your chlorine is neutralizing. That's good. It will eventually go away. But maintain that FC and watch the filter. You really just started this SLAM not too long ago after getting your test kit, so be patient. You inherited a very neglected pool. If we don't start to see color changes in the next 24-48 hours, I'll give you another option to consider. But for now … SLAM!

Thank you for responding. Just checked and it fell to about 6ppm so put my last get go for the night. Also theres something strange happening. Ever since i put the stabilizer in my skimmer yesterday my water pressure on filter setting is very weak from return line. If i turn to circulation the water has excellent pressure from return line. The gauge got to about 32 so i backwashed and for the first 5 min the water pressure was just like recirculate mode but then slowed say down. Already replaced sand and no water leaks from above plumbing. Cant get this slammed without the circulation...one thing after another.

Also...understanding when you ask friends and family questions you get all types of answers but one answer i questioned. My friend asked if it was possible that 300lbs of sand was too much to filter through and maybe try a lighter filter element? When i bought this house and changed sand these previous owners had it filled with fish tank gravel on the bottom topped with sand. Now...im not going to try that by any means...but possibly getting Zeobrite could help? Just more money on a guess but thats where im at with this. Ordered a drain king to make sure skimmer lines arent clogged since minimal pressure is happening. Just curious about some opinions. I want simple as possible...if possible.;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.