Pool help please!

Adding stablizer that way directly to the skimmer is not recommended anymore. Primarily because with sand or DE filters you then must wait a week or more before the stabilizer is fully dissolved. And some will never dissolve and sit in the no flow areas of the filter.

Always put stabilizer in a sock and hang in front of a return or put in the skimmer if you are running your pump 24/7. It will show up in your water within 24 hours after it is fully dissolved.

It sounds like in your case it acted about like DE, it plugged off your filter enough to restrict flow.

Sand is the best media for a sand filter. It has been around a million years and does not wear out.

UPDATE

SO here is where im at folks. Back to 1ppm and i have pretty much had every emotion you can expect to be having right now...and wasnt pretty. Here is what I am thinking and correct me if you think its a bad plan..

OK...first off I think im having a losing battle here trying to get shock level to 12 or 16 when I'm starting from scratch. It seems like a losing battle because in an hour it loses several ppm. Why dont i get it ABOVE the recommended shock level..like shoot for 20 and then as it falls every hour keep adding so that it never falls below shock level?

Something dawned on me at 2 am this morning. Before we realized we had 5 inches of mud and leaves and 100 tadpoles i called a pool company to open the pool. They showed up with 12..yes 12...12.5 oz of liquid chlorine and thats it. I think they had it right...over shock the h*** out of it so it wont fall below the shock level and then maintain it at 12 or 16. That seems to make more sense to me.

If im wrong...Im wrong but I've spent a ton of money already and gotten nowhere. As long as im not gonna screw up something major i dont see that i have anything to lose at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.