Pool heating plan/strategy

SBall

Jun 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
I realize that most people do not try to heat 40 degree water up to 85 so they can swim in the winter. What is your heating plan/strategy? Im wondering where the main expense in heating is...I am going to assume that the initial heating (so bumping the water temp from 60 to 80) is the most expensive, and maintaining/trapping the heat via solar cover, is much less costly?

LOL...basically, March is usually decent weather and we are ready to go swimming. Trying to decide when I want to crank up the heater. Im tentatively planning on when water temp reaches 70, turn on heater.

It is all about BTUs. 1 BTU will raise 1 lb of water 1 degree. Your heater will heat your pool around 1.5 degrees an hour. Initially less as the surrounding ground pulls heat until you warm it up. Once the water is above air temperature the water will lose BTUs to the air unless you have a cover on.

Thx. That was sort of my reasoning for waiting until water temp can get up to 70 naturally, then i can heat it 10-15 degrees to get into the 80s.

I was thinking kind of philosophically for those that have heaters as to when people like to turn them on and get their swim seasons started. It is 42 degrees outside and my water is in that realm...but it is almost spring and Im itching to go :) :)

I am in MD and I start slowly. First I set it to 50 and get it slowly to there, then set to 60 and slowly get it to there. On the occasional day that we get into 60's or 70's in March or early April I will push it higher. I use a heat pump so doesnt heat real well when air temp is cold but once air temp is in 50's and 60's it does that job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.