Agoura Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have been wrestling with the best solution for a while. Pool is 16k gallons, spa 700 gallons. Old Pentair Minimax just died.

I have a large solar PV system that I am trying to maximize. Would like to extend the pool season but also don’t want to sacrifice jacuzzi spontaneity.

Options:
1) 400k btu gas heater but will likely limit pool heating and just use for spa due to cost of gas. $4k cost for unit.
2) 115k heat pump $3.6k plus $1.2k electrical run total $4.8k. Should help with extending pool season but concerned about cool evenings when we want spa.
3) Start with Option 2, then add $1.5k small gas heater (125k btu) in series if the spa heating isn’t adequate.

With Option 3, will the Jandy automation be able to control both heaters where it can trigger them to accelerate the spa heating? Then once temp is reached it turns off gas and leaves on heat pump?

I really appreciate the advice!

Gas is expensive in California, but $4.8k would pay for a lot of gas...I'd probably just replace with another gas heater and consider adding a HP at a later date if you find yourself really missing it.

Jandy Aqualink has some capability of controlling multiple heaters, but I'm not familiar with the details of heat pump + gas heater integration.

Gas is expensive in California, but $4.8k would pay for a lot of gas...I'd probably just replace with another gas heater and consider adding a HP at a later date if you find yourself really missing it.

Jandy Aqualink has some capability of controlling multiple heaters, but I'm not familiar with the details of heat pump + gas heater integration.

You don't need to get Jandy. Get any heater Aqualink will be able to control it just the same. I think the amount of money you will spend on a 2nd heater will more than cover the additional you are spending for gas. I doubt you will ever see an ROI for getting a heater that is cheaper to run.

You don't need to get Jandy. Get any heater Aqualink will be able to control it just the same. I think the amount of money you will spend on a 2nd heater will more than cover the additional you are spending for gas. I doubt you will ever see an ROI for getting a heater that is cheaper to run.
Agree don’t need Jandy. I have to spend a minimum of $4k as the old heater is dead. So the heat pump is just $800 more than NG. Then the 2 pump concept is another $1,500 on top (so $6.3k total)…the small gas heater would only serve to boost the heat pump for cold jacuzzi days.

I rarely have a positive electric bill given how much my solar PV system produces, so I’m confident I’d at least cover the additional $800 in cost through gas savings. So maybe start with heat pump see how it goes, then if jacuzzi performance is terrible add the small NG?

Agree don’t need Jandy. I have to spend a minimum of $4k as the old heater is dead. So the heat pump is just $800 more than NG. Then the 2 pump concept is another $1,500 on top (so $6.3k total)…the small gas heater would only serve to boost the heat pump for cold jacuzzi days.

I rarely have a positive electric bill given how much my solar PV system produces, so I’m confident I’d at least cover the additional $800 in cost through gas savings. So maybe start with heat pump see how it goes, then if jacuzzi performance is terrible add the small NG?

Could be a good choice with your solar situation. But I don't think a heat pump can heat a jacuzzi to desired jacuzzi temps. Maybe on a really hot day (when you don't want to be in it anyway)? Don't forget your electric costs. You own your panels?

Could be a good choice with your solar situation. But I don't think a heat pump can heat a jacuzzi to desired jacuzzi temps. Maybe on a really hot day (when you don't want to be in it anyway)? Don't forget your electric costs. You own your panels?
I do own, it’s an 11.3kw system. I go back and forth every hour on this. Can pick up a Pentair 400k NG for $3.2k. That’ll heat up my 17k gallons (pool/spa) roughly 2 degrees per hour at 80% efficiency. 700 gallon spa will heat up 53 degrees per hour, so realistically only need half hour to go from 70 to 95. So even though it’s costing me about $7/hour to run the NG, it also doesn’t have to run as long.

I do own, it’s an 11.3kw system. I go back and forth every hour on this. Can pick up a Pentair 400k NG for $3.2k. That’ll heat up my 17k gallons (pool/spa) roughly 2 degrees per hour at 80% efficiency. 700 gallon spa will heat up 53 degrees per hour, so realistically only need half hour to go from 70 to 95. So even though it’s costing me about $7/hour to run the NG, it also doesn’t have to run as long.
Have you been able to confirm that the heat pump will work well in our southern Ca climate?

Have you been able to confirm that the heat pump will work well in our southern Ca climate?
I had extensive communication with Marcus Miller at Heat Pump Suppliers...of course he says it will work great. I think I agree in terms of the pool. The spa is a different story...with our cool evenings I just don't think the heat pump will get the job done. Let's say efficiency goes down to 80k btu because of the cold air...on 700 gallons, that would be 80k/6k pounds = 13 degrees per hour. If the pool starts at 65 degrees I'm waiting over 2 hours to get to 95. So this is almost more of a "what will actually work" question vs what saves money in the long run.

Reactions: Ahultin
Do you know 3 hours before you want to hop in the spa that you want to use it?

When my wife suggests it is a nice night to get into the spa she is really asking how quickly can it get up to temperature.

The answer of 3 hours dear and we are saving money while waiting would not work well with me. She would lay $5 on the table for it to be hot now.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you know 3 hours before you want to hop in the spa that you want to use it?

When my wife suggests it is a nice night to get into the spa she is really asking how quickly can it get up to temperature.

The answer of 3 hours dear and we are saving money while waiting would not work well with me. She would lay $5 on the table for it to be hot now.
And I think you have hit the nail firmly on the head!

Back for a bit more advice. I decided on a gas heater for the reasons above. Found this deal for Pentair at a local shop:

My pool contractor couldn’t believe the price. He prefers the Jandy 400k due to the versa Flo, but his price is $3,800 vs $2,999 for the Pentair.

Any idea how the pool shop can sell for such a low price? Is it worth the extra $800 for the Jandy?

Back for a bit more advice. I decided on a gas heater for the reasons above. Found this deal for Pentair at a local shop:

My pool contractor couldn’t believe the price. He prefers the Jandy 400k due to the versa Flo, but his price is $3,800 vs $2,999 for the Pentair.

Any idea how the pool shop can sell for such a low price? Is it worth the extra $800 for the Jandy?
No clue how they do it but they seem to give the "builder price" to everyone who walks thru the door. I can vouch for the store as I drove from San Diego county to there to pick up 2 intelliflos during our build at a price that seemed impossible whilst the intelliflos where as rare as Golden egg laying hens.

I beleive the general consensus on here is that the pentair and jandy are pretty equal , but the pentair is much less expensive to repair. Use a bit of the difference to do a heater bypass and I think it's a no brainer.

No clue how they do it but they seem to give the "builder price" to everyone who walks thru the door. I can vouch for the store as I drove from San Diego county to there to pick up 2 intelliflos during our build at a price that seemed impossible whilst the intelliflos where as rare as Golden egg laying hens.

I beleive the general consensus on here is that the pentair and jandy are pretty equal , but the pentair is much less expensive to repair. Use a bit of the difference to do a heater bypass and I think it's a no brainer.
Very reassuring! Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.