Pool heater won't stay lit

Danny56

Jul 25, 2019
Illinois
I have a Hayward H150FDN natural gas pool heater and when I went to turn it on after a few minutes the heater gives me an IF error code and won't stay lit. After looking it up the error code means ignition failure. I can smell gas when the heater tries to fire up so I assume the gas pressure is fine. After the fan blows initially and starts running again I can hear the ignitor light the gas but just for a few seconds until it shuts off, repeats the process 3 times, then gives me the error code. Any ideas on what could be wrong? It's only 3 years old and it worked fine when I used it for the first year. I didn't use it last year because of algae problems. I figured it could be because I haven't turned the gas line on in a while but after trying multiple times that doesn't seem to be it. I've also taken apart the pipe where the gas comes out of inside of the heater and cleaned it with compressed air. Still have the same issue.

You can't assume the gas pressure is fine just because you can smell gas. We have seen quite a few folks this year with various problems with their gas lines who smelled gas but the heater would not fire.

Spiders like to clog the orifices of heaters that have not been used for quite a while.

I would look closely at the entire gas system before you begin tearing the heater apart and replacing parts.

I did clean out the orifices and I didn't notice anything visible blocking them but I still shot them all with compressed air and stuck a pipe cleaner inside. I would rather not take the entire gas line apart but if that's what I have to do I'll do it.

Could it be low gas pressure if it lights for only 3-4 seconds, goes out, and recycles? I would think it would stay lit longer but I could be wrong.

I took the flame sensor out, scrubbed it with a rag, then screwed it back in. The connection on the board for the flame sensor looks fine including the wiring but I can try reinserting it. I don't have the equipment to test if it works or not though.

Flame sensor should be cleaned to bare metal with steel wool or a small file. All grounds, especially by the burner box should also be cleaned to bare metal at the ground connections also. It may also be helpful to clean the burners with a wire brush.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.