Pool heater opinions needed from the pros...

tcrb

Bronze Supporter
Aug 14, 2010
Houston, TX
I need some opinions from the pros about a new pool heater.

First off, we live in Houston so our main use of the heater is to extend our swimming season. Heating the pool (14k gal) for weekend use in the early spring and fall. We also use it to heat the spa probably 1-2 time a month from Nov-Feb. Our current heater… a Max E Therm 400k (NG) has done a fine job of that over the years. Well, at least for the first 5-6 years we had it.. Around year 7, a rodent ( I think is was a rat) crawled in a built a nest. It didn’t do too much damage, but it chewed the insulation off of a couple of wires that I repaired easily. But since that time, I’ve had one issue after another. I’ve replaced the thermocouple several times as well as several other components including the manifold, air flow switch, water pressure switch and 2 control panels. Now I think I may need another control panel. So considering its age (13 years), I think it’s time to replace it.

I can still buy an identical Max E Therm and just swap it out. The connections will match up perfectly, and the install will be (should be) easy-peasy. The other option is to purchase the Pentair MasterTemp 400K (NG). The connections are all the same except they are 1” higher from ground. But I can easily lower the heater pad by 1” which will still make the install fairly easy.

My question for the pros: Which model would you recommend? Relace my .original Max E Therm with same, or go with the new model MasterTemp…. And why? The price difference is only a couple hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance for the great advice I know I will receive

Last edited:
The Max-E-Therm and the MasterTemp heaters are both from Pentair and are basically identical heaters in different packaging.

It will make no difference which one you get.

That is what I've heard... they are essentially the same. Is the housing of the MasterTemp more rodent resistant? As I mentioned, I had a rodent issue with my Max E Therm, and I've read of others with same.

MasterTemps also have rodent problems although Pentair has tried to change the vents on it to rodent proof it. For best results see...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.