Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello,

I live in NJ where the pool season lasts about 4 months. How long would a pool heater last for a inground, saltwater pool ?

Thank you,
Joe

All depends how well you maintain your water chrmistry, especially pH. And run the heater regularly and they can last 6 to 10 years.

Just like your car, maintain it and it will last a long time. My old one was 15 or so years old when I decided it was cheaper to replace it than repair the heat exchanger (it was natural gas). My new one is a few years old and working fine.

Keep your water within TFP guidelines and I would expect at least 10 years out of it. :)

Like most equipment, actual life depends on initial quality of the equipment, installation quality, and maintenance quality. For pool heaters the burner tube bundle is the most expensive component and replacement parts plus labor is cost prohibitive unless you DIY it and this is beyond your typical DIYer. With good attention to water balance and maintenance they can last 15 years or more. Other components are cost effective to repair if the tech really knows what he's doing. These are usually sensors or a board replace that cost under $500 labor plus parts. My pool heater is in it's 8th year with no indications of tube failure and required extensive electronic repairs from a lightning strike plus self-inflicted damage during the repair. Setting aside the lightning strike, it appears to be on it's way to 10 years or more. My neighbor doesn't use TFP methods and his pool service I know to be deficient. He replaced his after 4 years due to a tube bundle failure. Same heater, same water, same weather.

Chris

Reactions: homegameroom
One more thing not mentioned is you will shorten the life of the heater if you let the water drop below approximately 70° . Water temperature needs to be maintained north of the 70° mark otherwise you have condensation issues which is very bad. Start heating only when you're sure it's going to remain above that temperature.

Reactions: Aquaman7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The heater that came with pool when we bought the house was 15 years old, I am guessing. It still worked fine but it wasn't very efficient. I replaced it in 2005 (see my sig) and it has been humming along ever since. I had a gas valve go out 2 years back but other than that I have seen no reason to replace it. How often do you replace the hot water heater in your house? I would expect to last that long.

Reactions: Aquaman7
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.