Pool Heater Hayward h400idl - IF ignition failure error

Natural gas or propane?

How old is the heater?

Can you describe exactly what happens from the time you power the heater on?

Probably need to check the gas pressure.
Natural gas, 17 years old. I power on, fan blower running - about 30 seconds later i hear a click and nothing. In the past, i'd hear it light up at this point. Heater does this 3 times. I smell a little gas, which was normal. Couple minutes later IF service code.

You can check the ignitor with a meter by measuring the ohms at the 2 leads coming from the ignitor. An older silicon carbide ignitor ( shiny crystalline and fragile ) will normally ohm out at 45-150 ohms. A newer silicon nitride ignitor ( Looks like a smooth dull black matchstick ) will normally ohm out at about 11-17 ohms. A reading of 0 ohms means the ignitor is open and won't heat up.

You can check the ignitor with a meter by measuring the ohms at the 2 leads coming from the ignitor. An older silicon carbide ignitor ( shiny crystalline and fragile ) will normally ohm out at 45-150 ohms. A newer silicon nitride ignitor ( Looks like a smooth dull black matchstick ) will normally ohm out at about 11-17 ohms. A reading of 0 ohms means the ignitor is open and won't heat up.
2020-04-04.jpg
am i doing this right? not getting a reading

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can just pull it. Turn gas inlet from the ground off. Remove ignitor and turn on heater to begin cycle. You will be able to see the end of the ignitor turn red hot. Of course wait till cool before trying to put back in place.

I did this. Mine tested 14 ohms. And it got red hot during cycle. But heater would not fire up as expected. Did hire a pro. He looked today and believes issue is still bad ignitor. He said even though it is heating up it needs to reach maximum heat point at the tip to combust. And older ones just don’t get hot enough over time.

Have a new one on order and will report back once replaced.
See my thread for more info.

Is the blower making any noise when the heater starts up? Is the blower getting voltage supplied when the heater starts up? Have you checked the blower capacitor visually for case swelling and with a meter reading microfarads to see if it is within plus or minus 10% of the rated microfarads printed on the capacitor?

Blower not making any noise when I turn on - 30 seconds later - AO error. I have no idea what I'm looking for, I'm not sure how to even check whats wrong. Will get a better multimeter. attached photo of what I'm looking at

Attachments

• 20200614_154204.jpg
    20200614_154204.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 12

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.