Pool Heater Hayward h400idl - IF ignition failure error

deveron22

Apr 1, 2020
chino hills
Ignition failure code came on a day after it was working fine. I cleaned the orifices...still not lighting. hear a single click no flame and IF pops up. Next plan of action?

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Natural gas or propane?

How old is the heater?

Can you describe exactly what happens from the time you power the heater on?

Probably need to check the gas pressure.

deveron22

Apr 1, 2020
chino hills
Natural gas or propane?

How old is the heater?

Can you describe exactly what happens from the time you power the heater on?

Probably need to check the gas pressure.
Natural gas, 17 years old. I power on, fan blower running - about 30 seconds later i hear a click and nothing. In the past, i'd hear it light up at this point. Heater does this 3 times. I smell a little gas, which was normal. Couple minutes later IF service code.

swamprat69

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
You can check the ignitor with a meter by measuring the ohms at the 2 leads coming from the ignitor. An older silicon carbide ignitor ( shiny crystalline and fragile ) will normally ohm out at 45-150 ohms. A newer silicon nitride ignitor ( Looks like a smooth dull black matchstick ) will normally ohm out at about 11-17 ohms. A reading of 0 ohms means the ignitor is open and won't heat up.

deveron22

Apr 1, 2020
chino hills
You can check the ignitor with a meter by measuring the ohms at the 2 leads coming from the ignitor. An older silicon carbide ignitor ( shiny crystalline and fragile ) will normally ohm out at 45-150 ohms. A newer silicon nitride ignitor ( Looks like a smooth dull black matchstick ) will normally ohm out at about 11-17 ohms. A reading of 0 ohms means the ignitor is open and won't heat up.
2020-04-04.jpg
am i doing this right? not getting a reading

deveron22

Apr 1, 2020
chino hills
i'm unsure whether i'm testing correctly. i read in another post that you can check the igniter by running it. does that mean i can unscrew it, pull it out and its safe to run to see if it works? about ready to just call a pro

shawnp40

Sep 19, 2018
Baltimore, MD
You can just pull it. Turn gas inlet from the ground off. Remove ignitor and turn on heater to begin cycle. You will be able to see the end of the ignitor turn red hot. Of course wait till cool before trying to put back in place.

I did this. Mine tested 14 ohms. And it got red hot during cycle. But heater would not fire up as expected. Did hire a pro. He looked today and believes issue is still bad ignitor. He said even though it is heating up it needs to reach maximum heat point at the tip to combust. And older ones just don’t get hot enough over time.

Have a new one on order and will report back once replaced.
See my thread for more info.