Jul 13, 2015
Novi/MI
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

Just closed pool for winter. I have a new Raypak gas heater

Seems like manufacturer advises against covering heater. I used to cover my old Hayward heater, but wondering if I should do it now. The advise against is to prevent moisture build up within but at the same time cover will leave the unit free of snow and ice going in through open vents
Should I leave it completely open, cover the top only or any other way?

Thanks

My HVAC guy wanted the top covered on my central AC to help limit snow and debris, and the rest open so it was less hospitable for creatures.

Heat pump / gas heater / AC unit wouldn't matter. But as always, ask 10 pros and get 10 different opinions. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mumgoa
I've always covered my heat pump, but also usually chase out mice and garter snakes once it's uncovered in the warmer days of late spring.

When I had my HVAC guy out to replace a pressure switch and clean my condenser coils, I asked his advice about whether to cover or not. His answer (after chasing out two garter snakes, and a handful of hornets) was: "The darker and more protected it is, the more it feels like home to rodents, snakes, and bees. Maybe just cover the fan."

That's the plan for this year!

Reactions: mumgoa
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.