Pool Handrail

Rcih2827

Sep 2, 2021
Orlando
Can I mount the pictured handrail on the coping on top of my pool? My pool is surrounded by pavers on a sand base so drilling into them is not an option without taking them out and creating a concrete footing. I am concerned that my coping will either crack or pull up when pressure is applied to the handrail. Any ideas? Thank you. #1. Handrail with stainless steel plate. #2. The pool coping. #3. The sponge represents the location of the plate.

Attachments

• rail.jpg
    rail.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0493.jpeg
    IMG_0493.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0494.jpeg
    IMG_0494.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 21
Rich,

Handrails are best installed during the pool build.. Metal rails must be bonded, which could be hard to do now.

If you want to see ugly, check out my "after the fact" handrail. The only good news is that it is made so that it does not require bonding.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

Handrails are best installed during the pool build.. Metal rails must be bonded, which could be hard to do now.

If you want to see ugly, check out my "after the fact" handrail. The only good news is that it is made so that it does not require bonding.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I was thinking of similar as it looks like an easy DIY install. Why does your not require bonding? Not in the water? Not made of steel? Thanks.

It is NOT ugly, Jim!! <stomps foot> Its ....just... uh... special. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I wish codes required them as too many people want an artsy pool yet need that handrail down the road when its much harder to pull off.

Maddie :flower:

Rich,

The same reason that all your decking, pool water, and equipment require bonding..

The whole idea is that if your pool water becomes electrified it will keep you from getting killed or shocked..

See this link about bonding.. Bonding vs Grounding - Trouble Free Pool

My railing is coated with something that prevents contact with the metal railing, so no bonding is required..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: HermanTX
Rich,

The same reason that all your decking, pool water, and equipment require bonding..

The whole idea is that if your pool water becomes electrified it will keep you from getting killed or shocked..

See this link about bonding.. Bonding vs Grounding - Trouble Free Pool

My railing is coated with something that prevents contact with the metal railing, so no bonding is required..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Can I mount the pictured handrail on the coping on top of my pool? My pool is surrounded by pavers on a sand base so drilling into them is not an option without taking them out and creating a concrete footing. I am concerned that my coping will either crack or pull up when pressure is applied to the handrail. Any ideas? Thank you. #1. Handrail with stainless steel plate. #2. The pool coping. #3. The sponge represents the location of the plate.
I don't know if you've done your install yet, but we installed our post-construction rails into the coping. Used Saftron rails so bonding wasn't an issue. Note: when I say "we," I mean the installers. 😁 This was not a DIY project for us.

Attachments

• PXL_20210313_215039801.jpg
    PXL_20210313_215039801.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20210313_214911983.jpg
    PXL_20210313_214911983.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20210313_145630781.jpg
    PXL_20210313_145630781.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20210312_190526275.jpg
    PXL_20210312_190526275.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 34
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.