Pool got out of control!

May 25, 2015
Northern Indiana
We neglected our pool for a few weeks (life got in the way) - and it is dark green, smells bad, and has fuffy stuff on the benches and floating on top.
I scared to run the pump or our aqua-bot because I think they are going to get contaminated.

We usually use the chlorine generator and add extra bleach (per advice from this great site) - but I think there isn't enough bleach in the county to fix our pool. . .
1. Does anyone have a good source for more concentrated bleach?
2. I'm scared that using 'pool shock' will add Ca and that's not good for our fiberglass pool
3. any tips for the safest thing to 'brush' to pool with (and not hurt the fiberglass)

Thanks in advance!

I will put numbers from testing up soon!

-Barb

You need to follow the SLAM Process. Lots of chlorine and testing.

Post up your test results from your own test kit (please add what you use to your signature).

You need to follow the SLAM Process. Lots of chlorine and testing.

Post up your test results from your own test kit (please add what you use to your signature).
What I use - do you mean test kit?
I had the T100 -then my husband took over and was just using stick from wherever. . . I fear that my T100 is now empty / out of date. . . I'll head out later to try to find one / order one. . ..should I just run the aqua-bot and pump while I'm waiting for real #s?

..should I just run the aqua-bot and pump while I'm waiting for real #s?
And plenty of chlorine. You need to know your CYA number before really knowing how much chlorine/bleach to add to get get SLAM levels but I'd go ahead and put a couple of gallons of 6% or higher in there and repeat the addition of the chlorine pretty much every few hours until you get your test kit in working order. Don't use the strips, they aren't accurate.

I'd personally also try to skim out as much of the solid gunk as you can as that will just increase the length of the SLAM process and I'd also brush the sides with whatever you normally brush the pool with. Probably a nylon bristled pool brush but I don't know any precautions you should take for a fiberglass pool.

I had the T100 -then my husband took over and was just using stick from wherever. . . I fear that my T100 is now empty / out of date. . . I'll head out later to try to find one / order one. . ..should I just run the aqua-bot and pump while I'm waiting for real #s?
Correct - what test kit? If you do not have one or need a refill go to TFTestkits.net.
Sticks/strips will get you into the mess you are in. Throw them away.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening with the pump running until you get your test kit.

[/QUOTE
Correct - what test kit? If you do not have one or need a refill go to TFTestkits.net.
Sticks/strips will get you into the mess you are in. Throw them away.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening with the pump running until you get your test kit.
Sorry - I'm using the TFP pool math app
do I tell it I have 0 cya nad 0 Free Chlorine. . . .it says I only have to add 1.5 gallons of bleach - that seems crazy low. . . .

If it's as bad as you describe then I'd expect that 5ppm of FC to disappear pretty quickly. You should be prepared to do this at least once a day for the next few days or so depending on how bad it really is.

Once you get the TF-100 refreshed and run some tests I am sure the people here can help more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.