Pool Filter Sizing

TheSadClown

Jan 22, 2020
Surf City, NC
Hello,

I just wanted to start by thanking everyone that has helped me so far with all of the questions I have asked.
I have another question, What are the benefits of going from a CCP520 over the CC200 I currently have?
Im not really concerned about having to clean the filter more often with the CC200. I mainly wanted to know will the CCP520 keep my pool cleaner than the CC200? I live at the beach and have alot of sand that blows around and into my pool. Would a larger filter be more beneficial for me or would the CC200 be just fine?

You can have a small filter. Just be sure to clean it when the pressure rises by 25% over clean pressure.

We always recommend to oversize filters, as you mentioned, its the time between cleaning. The only time a larger filter is better, is when performing a SLAM. Also pressure come to play when filters are small.

When, not if, you get an algae problem the small cartridge filter can clog rapidly and prevent the water from circulating and stopping the SLAM Process. We have seen may folks with small filters have this problem. It then takes a lot of effort to clean the filter every few hours or rotate two filters in and out for days while trying to clear algae.

You can pay now or pay later.

Reactions: jimmythegreek
My first cartridge filter was a single that "should" have been big enough plus some but it seemed I had to clean it all the time..I have a lot of tree's
Now I bought a huge 4 filter one and the pressure rarely goes up. The only downside is the cost upfront.

One thing I have since learned here is use hairnets on the skimmers..That stops a LOT of junk and keeps the cartridge cleaner

Isn’t the 200 sq ft cartridge already plenty oversized enough for his 13.7k gallon pool ? I have 35k and 500 sq ft and can easily go all year between cleanings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.