Pool Filled Last Night

ButchRay

Sep 29, 2019
Niceville Florida
Hello,
Pool filled last night (Friday) at 8 PM, start-up is Monday. The pool builder said dive right in when the pool fills up and swim all weekend, and that we can start scrubbing tomorrow (today). There are no chemicals in the pool. Admittedly, I did not do all my homework on this site, and actually thought the PB would be out today to start-up. We swam, put the chairs on the shelf, and enjoyed the night. I did order my TF-100 this morning though, and totally redeemed myself! PB said they use the traditional start-up method. Open to any advise or scoldings that will be beneficial until start-up.
It's been a long and tedious process with terrible communication and subs, but the end product is coming together like we wanted it. Thanks to the forum, I found 99% of my questions through search and got quick and helpful assistance when needed. Am I begging to be sent a "support this forum" link? Still thinking about it.IMG_0525.jpgIMG_0538.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: First off, you'll want to read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and browse Pool School. It might take a couple of readings for it to click, but it will. You want to get a good test kit now, Test Kits Compared will help guide you. Until you get your test kit, you'll want to add enough CYA or stabilizer to bring you up to about 30 ppm, then add the equivalent of 5 ppm chlorine using liquid chlorine every day. I don't know how to deal with the SWG, maybe @ajw22 can help with that.

But you do need to treat your water. No telling when your PB will be back to "open" your pool officially.

I swam the day my pool filled. My PB said it’d be ok and highlighted that it would be like swimming in a kiddie pool you filled with a hose.

Given the water was chilly for us, we didn’t do a to of swimming.

I did thoroughly wash my ears out after.

Thank you both for the information. PB did say salt wont go in for a month, and it'll be a "regular pool" until then. They will add the initial chemicals on Monday, and up to me after that.

Get the TF100 kit. You’ll be adding chlorine daily and adjust acid frequently. Get the Pool Math app and do a suite of testing with the kit. It’ll tell you how much of what to add. It seems intimidating at first, but it’s quite straight forward if you just take some time to learn how to use the kit and how the chemicals and additives work.

Home Depot has food prices on chlorine and MA.

Thanks again DB. I ordered the TF100 kit this morning.
The plaster is by far, my primary concern. I've swam in so many fish ponds, and questionable creeks that I don't have many concerns about the health aspect. I do plan on becoming a water chemistry nerd, ordered the salt, borax test, and speed stir as well. Also from reading a few posts, I will wait a year to decide whether or not I will add Borax. The convincing viewpoint was basically, master the five variations of pool chemistry before adding a sixth. I can't remember the forum members handle to give credit.

DB - I forgot to mention something about your Home Depot good prices, for folks to be aware of at the big box stores. Check the dates. I was shopping for 10% pool chlorine to do some pressure washing (works wonders). When I checked the dates, one 3 pack box was over a year old and the next one I checked was 11 months. That could have just been a one off, but my local Ace Hardware has the stuff, 1-2 months old for $3.50 so I just go there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.