fnhanks

May 2, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our pool equipment is installed inside a building due to HOA variances and noise. The pool is outdoors.

I originally had gallons of muriatic acid and chlorine tablets stored indoors (apart from eachother). I started to notice rust on items I had stored in there. Did some research and saw that MA should be stored outdoors as it can cause rust. I moved the MA to a bin outside but left the tablets indoors.

It’s been about a month and I was still finding rust. It’s hard to say whether it’s residual from before or whether it was new rust but I’m pretty sure the issue is persisting. Yesterday I moved the tablets outdoors as well.

Is there anything else I should do? Do I need to run a dehumidifier in there? The pool loop is a closed system in that it’s not leaking water so I wouldn’t think that would be the culprit?

Our pool equipment is installed inside a building due to HOA variances and noise. The pool is outdoors.

I originally had gallons of muriatic acid and chlorine tablets stored indoors (apart from eachother). I started to notice rust on items I had stored in there. Did some research and saw that MA should be stored outdoors as it can cause rust. I moved the MA to a bin outside but left the tablets indoors.

It’s been about a month and I was still finding rust. It’s hard to say whether it’s residual from before or whether it was new rust but I’m pretty sure the issue is persisting. Yesterday I moved the tablets outdoors as well.

Is there anything else I should do? Do I need to run a dehumidifier in there? The pool loop is a closed system in that it’s not leaking water so I wouldn’t think that would be the culprit?

What things are rusting?

Just from a chemistry perspective, once rust starts, it keeps going. If something has rust on it, it has to be thoroughly cleaned off, neutralized, and a protective coating has to be applied. Otherwise the presence of the existing rust and humidity just keeps the process running.

Reactions: fnhanks
The rust is probably from the acid vapors in the MA and Trichlor tablets.

Rusting Is a chemical process. Once it begins it will continue unless the rust is neutralized. You can buy rust neutrizer to paint on rusted areas..

I love this place. You ask a question and get answers in seconds!

It’s all things like hand tools, garden tools, etc. I can go ahead and clean those off with evaporust and apply some protective coatings. I’ll have to do a thorough inspection of everything to see what got rusted / what can be fixed.

But moving the tablets and MA should be the solution for everything new moving forward at this point, correct?

You can clean hand tools off using either Bar Keepers Friend cleaner (oxalic and citric acid with scouring powder) OR apply a thick paste of cream of tartar & peroxide and let it sit (then rinse with a baking soda water solution). After removing the rust, they should be coated with a thin layer of water displacing oil like WD40 or machine grease (Crisco vegetable shortening works well too).