Pool Equipment Bonding

Bonding comes into play when there is metal spread all around. Each piece of metal can "built up" ( for lack of a better word ) a small electrical charge. Now you have " power plants" all over the place. Each are on its own and between any two you can get a buzz. Can be a tingle, can be enough to knock you socks off. So in order to stop this ,,,,, ALL metal, not just for pools, HAVE to be on the same potential. That means wiring them together. metal studs in your home, tracks in ceiling tiles etc , all should be tied together. Steel / metal is not put around pools to be a bond, the fact it was put there for some reason causes it now to be tied to all other metal in the area.
Running a wire to the items on your pad stops any one of them from getting out of line and building up a current that is not the same as the others. You Can Not get a shock from touching within "arms reach" any two items that are on the same potential IF you are also on that same potential.
The problem with grounding ( we are off the bond thing for now ) is that a ground rod driven into the ground right there, and then another over there can be and more then likely will have a current difference between them. Ground is NOT ground. Rod materials, soil type, etc all puts them at different levels of ground. This is why we should have only one ground rod in our electrical. You will notice in a Main power box there is Bond screw, and on any Sub Panels you SHOULD see that bond screw is missing. Missing around with that has changed over the years by the experts and even now some places have it one way and others the other way.

Actually I do understand that ground can vary and that there should only be 1 ground rod for electrical for a household, for instance. I get fuzzy with the bonding wrt to the electrical though. Know bond wire should not be connected to electrical ground.

My pool was installed with code from the 1970s and I'm wanting to update anything now with my new equipment that I can that doesn't involve a major demo. Bonding is just one of the items on my pick list.

So in a nutshell, I can leave things as they are with no bonding or add a bonding wire. If I add a bonding wire, it should just be between the equipment and I don't have to worry about tying it in to any sort of ground. At least that's how I understand it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.