Sep 11, 2021
North Texas
Well dig day was yesterday and we are about 1/2 done. The pool company mapped out the edges based on the plans, but they later admitted that the reference post / Datum post / king post, was in the incorrect location. This caused other measurements to be off resulting in the hole being 2 foot closer to the house then it should on the deep end side. In addition, there is a 11 ton grotto waterfall to be over the back of the deep end that was supposed to go over the now disturbed dirt. They can easily dig the extra 2 feet closer to the back fence, but the 2 feet closer to the home that was supposed to be decking is an issue, since it is now disturbed soil. The excavator guy was sure ****** at the other crew members after he noticed that something was off in the middle of the dig.

Do they need fill it back in with gravel/base? I think this is less strong then virgin soil.
Do they need to just keep the shape of the pool and then adjust the decking? I think it is not that big of a deal to have a slightly larger pool, but I know it would be extra materials.
I am concerned that I will be billed the extra excavation time, since we only have 8 hours of dig time, then ~$400 per hour after, but they sure spent a lot of time trying to figure out where the measurements went wrong.
I am looking to see if anyone has experience in this.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    833.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1752.JPG
    IMG_1752.JPG
    760.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    764 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    773.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1768.JPG
    IMG_1768.JPG
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 56
Hey NP !!! Many ways to skin this cat. First off, I believe the universe voted for you to have a bigger pool.

But if you choose to keep the original plans, any experienced builder / mason will have no problems using gravel to compact the disturbed earth good as new. Some even sink concrete footers down to fresh earth to make the patio / rock wall more of a bridge or table so that the ground underneath matters less.

I imagine waiting a season or two for it to settle on its own is undesirable, but that would be the cheapest route. Many patio people by me who don’t want to the extra work refuse to touch any job that hasn’t sat for at least a season. And others shrug and get to compacting gravel or installing footers.

Hey NP !!! Many ways to skin this cat. First off, I believe the universe voted for you to have a bigger pool.

But if you choose to keep the original plans, any experienced builder / mason will have no problems using gravel to compact the disturbed earth good as new. Some even sink concrete footers down to fresh earth to make the patio / rock wall more of a bridge or table so that the ground underneath matters less.

I imagine waiting a season or two for it to settle on its own is undesirable, but that would be the cheapest route. Many patio people by me who don’t want to the extra work refuse to touch any job that hasn’t sat for at least a season. And others shrug and get to compacting gravel or installing footers.
Also, given that it's their mistake, I would go in with the base assumption that they are going to pay any extra material costs for the larger pool. Honestly, that's probably going to be cheaper than fixing the hole so that you can put the deck on it, etc.

Reactions: Newdude
+1. I would assume (and disclaimer there for obvious reasons) that the builder would be more willing to eat the gravel and labor costs to fix the ground, which should be many times cheaper than the larger pool option. (Bigger pool always my vote, regardless of who is paying, but well wishes yours is free :))

Another thought too NP. Have you seen any 3D renderings of the full yard with the Grotto ? It’s tough to pull off in the wrong yard. As beautiful as they can be, if it looks out of place it will just be a ‘pile of rocks’.

You may like it even then, and I’ll high five you for sharing pics. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the advice. I am waiting of the foreman to arrive this morning to speak with them on what there plan is. I believe they are going to set forms to the original shape and then backfill, but I will confirm. I'll try for the larger pool, since it's already dug.

Reactions: Newdude
Bigger pool. I agree they should eat the gunite and plaster costs, and definitely the extra digging costs. Though that will be substantially larger... so over time it will cost more to operate. So you will get hit regardless.

This is the 3D rendering
Aiiight. I’m SOLD. :ROFLMAO: I think the fence helps a great deal because the fenced pool area with the grotto only has to match itself. That same grotto overlooking a vineyard or golf course wouldn’t feel the same. It’d still be stunning by itself, but stick out like a sore thumb.

So, bravo !!! (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.