Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Happy V-day to everyone here!

My wife and I just bought a new (old) house with a pool! I'm no stranger to pools as I have been maintaining my MIL's pool with the TFP method for years. However, the Coping on our pool is in bad shape. A quote to replace it was anywhere from 12-17k! We don't have that kind of money to pour into the pool right now, especially with a new liner in the immediate future.

We did have the pool inspected and the track that holds the liner was said to be in good condition. It's just the plastic surround that is not good at all (will post pictures if I can). Since the track is in good condition are there any "quick fixes" that won't cost $10,000 dollars or more!? We don't care about looks as much as not letting water in where the coping is not only cracked but has massive holes. Anyways, any help is appreciated, I've turned to you all a lot in the past and have never been let down!

P.S. I live in Alabama but my signature is not correct pool info, it's my MIL's!

Thanks in advance!

20190206_070136.jpg20190206_070108.jpg20190206_070124.jpg

Looks to me that the plastic covering is part of a system that fits onto the formed concrete lip. I would think your $10K+ quote was to replace the crumbling concrete deck and lip as well as the plastic cover.

It would not be pretty but some sheets of plastic cut to fill the holes plus duct tape could last a season or two.

Thank you for all the information. For now I have cut the cracked plastic smooth and filled it with quickrete. I will then paint it white with a waterproof sealant to match the white PVC as best I can.

When we next need a new liner (hopefully 10 years from now) we will have saved enough money to get the coping replaced with something a little easier to work with in the future since this was more of a temporary "cosmetic" fix. Thanks for the links to those websites, it gave me enough information to make it look halfway decent!

If the coping is separate from the track/walls, you may be able to cut out 6"-12" of the decking with a concrete saw and remove it along with the coping. Then, you could just replace it with coping pavers, bricks, or poured concrete coping, for $2000-$3,000. Problem is finding soemone who does small jobs like this - they all want to do bigger, more expensive jobs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.